News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Making Western Electric 500 series Key Sets Work

Started by foots, July 29, 2009, 04:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

My brother and I were discussing phones and we started talking about those old multi line phones we so often saw at different businesses when we were growing up. My brother said he'd like to get a phone similar to my 545 (pictured below) and try his hand at refurbing it. If he likes it, he said he "may" get more as he can find them. I also told him I'd like to  try my hand at getting a 1A2 key system set up , as time, money, and parts availability permit. We were wondering where we could get parts such as the multi conductor line cords, connectors, and bulbs for those that have lighted keys. Any help on parts availability would be a great help.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Josh, I recommend joining one or both of the phone clubs.  There are so many members, many of whom have been at this for years and years.  Very often members post "wanted" items on the club's List Serve and the parts jump out of the woodwork.  Not always, but often.  It's really a good source for parts and information.

foots

I've been considering joining one of the clubs, but then I'd be admitting that I had an addiction  :o . Would there be a preferance if I were going to join 1 club for the time being?

Dennis Markham

From what I understand the TCI is geared to those interested in switching as well as collecting.  It seems that when someone posts things for sale they do it on both lists.

Steve K

1A2 systems and parts are readily available on eBay.  I think that I have an extra WE 1A2 "shoebox" around somewhere that I can probably part with.  I don't know if I have a power supply for it though.  Be careful when buying the phones, not all are compatable with 1A2.

Steve

foots

Thanks Steve, I've been doing some research and there is some good info out there. Paul F's site is pretty helpful among some others that I've found.

Phonesrfun

Foots:

I have some experience, although not much, at 1A2.  I have a working system, and if you have done some phone wiring before, they are not too difficult.  They are kind of neat to see working with all the blinking lights.  The biggest issue is dealing with the 25-pair cable, and making home-runs to each phone from the 1A2 "shoe-box".  If you have some questions, let me know and we can arrange for some one-on-one conversations.

-Bill
-Bill G

foots

Phonesrfun, thanks for the offer, I'll definately have some questions.

Babybearjs

phoneco is also a source.   www.phonecoinc.com     
John