"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got Another AE 3-Line Phone - AE 187

Started by mienaichizu, January 14, 2009, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Here are some more pics

as seen in here, the base and other metal parts has corroded and rusted. It also seems that the phone has been subjected to high humidity environment or once dipped in water. The transmitter and receiver are also rusted. The testing result are as follows:

- dial tone can't be cut
- low volume on handset receiver

dial has also loosen up with a few lubrication, it now runs smoothly. the ringer is also working

now my question is this, how can I cut the dial tone and how can I tone up the handset receiver? does anyone has a wiring diagram of this phone. I tried looking at the Internet but found nothing. Anyway, the phone's model is AE 186

Dennis Markham

Look here:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/aeco.htm

Scroll down to Model 186.  There's a pdf for both touch tone and rotary.

bingster

Wow... it looks like that phone has spent some time at the bottom of a lake!

One thing you might check to get it to break a dial tone is the contacts on the back of the dial.  Given the fact that there's so much corrosion inside the phone, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the dial contacts are corroded.  If they are, the dial won't break the dial tone.  Clean those contacts and see what happens.  Also clean the switch hook contacts while you're in there.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 16, 2009, 10:23:05 AM
Look here:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/aeco.htm

Scroll down to Model 186.  There's a pdf for both touch tone and rotary.

whoops, I was wrong it was not a Model 186 but a 187, but I think this would do, thanks Dennis

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on January 16, 2009, 10:32:13 AM
Wow... it looks like that phone has spent some time at the bottom of a lake!

One thing you might check to get it to break a dial tone is the contacts on the back of the dial.  Given the fact that there's so much corrosion inside the phone, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the dial contacts are corroded.  If they are, the dial won't break the dial tone.  Clean those contacts and see what happens.  Also clean the switch hook contacts while you're in there.

Thanks bingster, I'll do that

McHeath

Holy Davy Jones Locker Batman!  I think someone put that phone at the bottom of Manila Bay for about a decade.  Not sure it's salvageable with that kind of rust, but then again who knows?  You've got your hands full with this one.

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on January 16, 2009, 06:55:06 PM
Holy Davy Jones Locker Batman!  I think someone put that phone at the bottom of Manila Bay for about a decade.  Not sure it's salvageable with that kind of rust, but then again who knows?  You've got your hands full with this one.

yah it looks like that it stayed at the bottom of Manila Bay, I managed to get a tone but can't dial, I'm still working on it. Looks like this will be a challenge to me

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on January 16, 2009, 10:32:13 AM

another question, how do I clean the dial contacts? what solution or cleaning agent should I use.

benhutcherson

Any good non-lubricating solvent will work. Here's one of my favorites though-it works well, and is in a convenient spray can

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-5102-QD-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI

mienaichizu