News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An oldie at the show.

Started by Dan, September 05, 2010, 03:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I know little about the oldies, but I saw this and picked it up at the antique show. The guy said the loud ticking on the dial could probably be fixed with "a little oil." It sounded like a 4H dial when I spun it. The price was $40. I bought it.

At home I looked and inside was a 4H dial dated "X 36". I figured I did allright. I have a little radio shack bell box I could use until I get a subset.

Is this a 202 or a 102? It is metal. Where all the ones like this metal?When were these made? The elements inside the F1 handset are voice and earpiece 1938. The felt underneath is original and nice.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Wallphone

That wiring doesn't match any of the nice diagrams that Bingster produced. Was this phone wired to plug directly into the phone jack? Do you have a pic of the whole bottom showing all the wiring?
Dougpav

Kenny C

its a 202  i paid 100 for mine and it didnt even have a WE dial but it had the subset
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Quote from: Wallphone on September 05, 2010, 04:23:10 PM
That wiring doesn't match any of the nice diagrams that Bingster produced. Was this phone wired to plug directly into the phone jack? Do you have a pic of the whole bottom showing all the wiring?
Dougpav

Here's another pic. It looks like they cut off the wall cord. If I copy what it has but add a new cord, will it work?
The wall cord is onthe left side as you look @ this pic.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

paul-f

Dan,

You got a nice one.

The cut cord is not a "wall cord" it's a "mounting cord" and was intended to go to a subset, which contained the rest of the components needed to make the whole thing a telephone.

You can find other topics here that discuss the desirability of using a subset or mini network.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan

Wallphone

When I looked at it the first time it looked like the line cord was on the right. Looking at it again with the handset cord being on the right it looks correct for a 202 once you wire it to a subset. There are diagrams in the TCI Library on how to convert a 302 to a subset. Ray Kotke sells covers for the 302 to make it look like a subset.
Dougpav

KeithB

That's a heckuva bargain :o you got there, Dan.
Add a vintage subset properly wired, and you've got quite the prize!!

Congratulations!!  ;D

bingster

"fixing the ticking with oil" is funny.  If you have a junker 500, you can also use that base as a subset.  Check the "Technical Stuff" section for details on that.  If the mounting cord still has most of it's length, you can try exposing a bit more of the conductors and respading the ends.  Nice find! 
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on September 05, 2010, 07:31:12 PM
"fixing the ticking with oil" is funny. 
Yeah, maybe I can use that as a bargaining tool when I come across one!

Quote from: bingster on September 05, 2010, 07:31:12 PM
If you have a junker 500, you can also use that base as a subset. 

I never knew that.  Problem is so far all my 500s are working phones.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

my subset was wired so badly i just stuck a 500 in 'er and it works fine.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Great buy, Dan!  Forty bucks with that #4 dial makes it a real bargain.  Not quite as good as your Mediterranean Blue mushroom phone, but a good buy nonetheless.

Dan

Thanks Dennis, the blue 'shroom will always be my ultimate buy, and I like the "smallness" of this phone.

benhutcherson

Great find, Dan-I would have bought it.

I noticed no one has directly answered your question

QuoteIs this a 202 or a 102?

The answer to this is that it's currently neither.

A 102 is a desk handset mounting that's connected via a 3-conductor cord to a sidetone subset.

A 202 is a desk handset mounting that is connected by a 4-conductor cord to an anti-sidetone subset.

What you have is a D-1 handset mount. It can be set up as either a 102 or 202.

Although I have two D-1s, the only one I use came to me with an original 20+ foot long three conductor cord cloth-covered cord that I elected to preserve. Thus, I hooked it up to a sidetone subset. Even though mine looks like yours when sitting on my desk, it's a 102 for this reason.