News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grey 1963 500 Ebay Purchase

Started by olderdude60, September 23, 2012, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olderdude60

Hello all - as I posted in "Find of the Month" - I purchased my all time favorite 500 - a grey one.  I've been scouting for one of these for several years and just didn't have the $$$ some of them sold for!   

I had one of these as a young man living with my brother and sister-in-law in 1970.  This one is a 4/63 C/D 500.

I got it on Ebay for $23.17 plus shipping!  I'm thrilled - I've provided the nasty before and great after pics - I used the peroxide treatment - there was a little swirling effect on the top of the case by the cradle ears. 

Hope you enjoy my "rare" find.

Jim

Doug Rose

WOW!!! What a difference....outstanding....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Looks great!  Did you use the peroxide on the cords as well?  If so any technique to it?  I have yet to try it!

olderdude60

Hi - yup I used 40 volume creme peroxide from Sally Beauty.  Donned rubber gloves, and placed a small amount of creme in a dish - used a toothbrush to apply it - then massaged the cord till it was quite "messy!"  Interestingly - I put the phone and cords on the dash of my van and left for a few hours leaving it sit in the sun!  Seemed to work well!  I have the line cord yet to do - it's also curly!

I like the peroxide treatment - straight out of the bottle applied with a toothbrush - warm sun in a plastic container covered with plastic wrap and fastened down with rubber bands!

Hope this helps
Jim