"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Phone pricing and value gain or loss

Started by rfkimba, June 22, 2016, 02:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Guys,
I have been away from active involvement in our hobby for about  1.5 years due to relocation.
I just  visited the Lancaster TCI show and got the impression pricing for most phones including rarities is down.
Any feedback on this topic is appreciated.
Bob Farber

LarryInMichigan

It stands to reason that the more phones I buy, the lower the value will be.  It works the same way with the stock market.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Typically you can find some really good prices at phone shows. I wouldn't judge the market based on 1 show. If the values are down on some good examples, it is time to buy.

Steve Hiltz has been saying for decades that phone values follow the  housing market. I have a tendancy to agree with him.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on June 22, 2016, 05:40:39 PM
Steve Hiltz has been saying for decades that phone values follow the  housing market. I have a tendancy to agree with him.

JMO,
Jim S.

Then it is TIME FOR ME TO SELL! The real estate market here has absolutely gone crazy.

Here is how real estate sales happen here now and it has been like this for the past year or more: House is listed for what seems like a rediculously high price to us but compared to recent sales it is actually low to get the potential buyers interest. They do a week or so of showings and then have a couple of days where offers are being accepted. After that they open the offers and pick the one they want to accept. This isn't necessarily the highest priced offer as some offers have "subjects" on them, subject to inspection, financing, sale of present house etc. Almost all offers will be over asking price, some as much as $100K-$200K over asking price.

A friends daughter wanted to purchase a little condo 25 miles outside of downtown Vancouver that was listed at something like $350K. They offered $385K and came in 5th. It sold for $460K. There are 2 other identical houses to mine (except mine probably has more phones than the other two :) ) in my neighbourhood. All three built by the same builder as 2500 square foot split level spec homes in mid 70's.  I paid $123,500 about 30 years ago. One of the three just went for sale, it has never had any updates to speak of. Asking $850K which surprised us being that low compared to other prices we have heard of recently yet all the while we can't believe how expensive it is! But, that is the "reasonable" asking price to get people interested enough to make an offer. I look forward to hearing what it sells for. But, it all does no one here any good unless they are prepared to leave the area or downsize very significantly.

Sorry to derail the original topic!

Terry

oldguy

I've thought of downsizing now that the kids are gone but what do you do with your phones in a smaller house?
Gary

tallguy58

Want a million dollar bungalow?

Come to Toronto.
Cheers........Bill

NorthernElectric

Folks that buy houses in Toronto or Vancouver probably don't have any money left over for vintage phones.   :)
Cliff

Jim Stettler

Quote from: oldguy on June 22, 2016, 09:07:44 PM
I've thought of downsizing now that the kids are gone but what do you do with your phones in a smaller house?
Maybe you should keep the house and upsize the collection?
Just a thought,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

AE_Collector

Yes, that's for sure. And oddly, my stock portfolio (over here) is down in direct correlation with phone prices (over there).

Crazy close race with a surprising (to me) outcome.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Everything, including my retirement fund is now down overnight.  grrrr. 

-Bill G

poplar1

EBay has a new "Seller Hub" which is supposed to help sellers track sales. Even before Brexit, it was showing that the"market" for the 3 main telephone categories -- pre-1940, 1940-1969, and 1970-up -- was down 8% compared to one year ago.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

This is one of those "economics 101" supply & demand situations.  From what I've noticed on Ebay over the past several years, there seem to be more knowledgeable sellers of phones now.  For example, more sellers lists dates on phones than years ago imo.  I believe the greater awareness & knowledge out there brings more phones to market, that otherwise might get tossed in the trash.  Also, you see more sellers liquidating collections, estates, or business inventory on Ebay.  This also increases phones available for sale.  Look at the number of payphones for sale now...  These two factors will tend to decrease price over time.

On the other hand, the increased  knowledge & awareness of phones, and collectors with deep pockets has increased prices on some uncommon items.  Those few "big" sales aren't enough to offset the two factors above, so average prices are falling.  More items for sale is always a good thing if you're a collector.  Any other thoughts on this?
Paul

Babybearjs

I was going through my collection today and have several 3 line phones, and 7 W.E. 307's, along with a bunch of 564/2564 phones.... I am having to thin out my collection because of value problems, and thanks to cell phones, usage.... I just have too many phones NOBODY Wants.... and so the value plummets. Plus I have about a dozen 302's.... all collecting dust.... I've stopped collecting because I've run out of room and interest for the time being.....
John

RotarDad

I think you bring up some good points, John.  I've started to get a bit concerned about future interest in our phones as the world moves away from landlines, and services that work with pulse dialing.  I have been trying to avoid buying more phones now (unless something really special comes along), and instead I'm spending some time restoring ones I have that I don't plan to keep.  I've been selling those off on Ebay while there are still lots of people with landlines to enjoy them.  I'm thinking the uncommon, collector-interest phones are more likely to hold their value, but the common items may lose value in the years ahead as landlines disappear.

You could, for example, restore and sell off a good number of your common 302s, and then maybe buy a nice '37 302 in their place.  The '37 is a much better future value bet than a handful of more common sets, and takes up far less room.......;)

Other thoughts on this from the Forum??
Paul