News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picture of Stans Controller Guts

Started by Payphone installer, December 22, 2018, 12:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

Stans controller guts,take a shot at building it. This was the topic of discussion last week. Good Luck

poplar1

I misplaced my wall wart. What is the voltage and amperage for the DC input?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Payphone installer

The power supply is:
9VDC
600ma
Plug is 2.5mm X 5.5mm
Center is +

Jim Stettler

Why not try to get a minimum order together and try to get Stan to do another run? Some of the payphone guys and/or parts vendors could stock-up for resell.

If we could make it happen I would have interest in another. I also meant to order a TT-pad tuner and never did.
Jim S.
BTW Stan's original controller was a very cool device, It was large and had a metal enclosure.
The current model came out in 2 versions. The first version, and the second. I think the difference was mainly the component technology.

Jim S.

Hey Stan,
Are you willing to do another run of controllers? If so, what is the minimum run and price point to make it happen?
I am willing to be the  point  man on this project , If it happens. This means I am willing to handle the  orders and distribution at actual cost. Ship them to me and I will fill the orders at your direction, . I will even do the  package  as you do, if you provide the supplies.

I am only interested in buying 1 for myself, others will need to step up to meet a minimum order requirement.
I have Pm'ed Stan this thought, as stated
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Depending on cost I would like to have one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

Yes, if there were enough interest (payment in advance would make sense), perhaps Stan would come out of controller-manufacturing retirement to have another batch made.   I think in the past, these were sold shipped on EBay for about $220 if memory serves....
Paul

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on December 22, 2018, 04:38:24 PM
Yes, if there were enough interest (payment in advance would make sense), perhaps Stan would come out of controller-manufacturing retirement to have another batch made.   I think in the past, these were sold shipped on EBay for about $220 if memory serves....
ISTR that that was the last retail price.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Ktownphoneco

What is ISTR ?    Stan is an engineer I believe, and most likely had his circuit board patented.     Since he's already sort of made his mind up not to continue production of the controllers, you may find he's willing to sell the patent of the unit for a substantial amount of money, so I'd be ready for that contingency as well.

Jeff Lamb   

RotarDad

ISTR is text slang for "I seem to remember".
Paul

poplar1

Butch Harlow

Quote from: RotarDad on December 22, 2018, 04:38:24 PM

I am pretty certain the one I purchased was one of the last he made. I did indeed pay 220 for it. It was worth every penny. I would absolutely be interested in purchasing an extra if they were to come available. These are made as if done in a factory with high standards. I am certain that the circuit board is the key, as I assume all the individual components are commonly available. I was lucky to get my hands on an earlier unit for a friend's phone this year. I am happy it's being used but regret letting it go.
Butch Harlow

Payphone installer

Stan is done building controllers and it was never patented, there are not enough people buying them to justify the effort anymore. However he s now producing the controller built into a series of phones. He has done several 181,233 and two piece phones. I can them Stans and in my opinion at some point they will be highly collectable rare pieces. If I were you I would sell some junk phones raise some money and buy one while you still can.The way it is going no one will ever know how a payphone works in the future so anything that works will be a rare item.

tallrick

For the single slots the Protel board is the way tp go but this contoller for the 3 slot phones is interesting. Instead of building some monstrosity like I would- this is a board small enough to fit inside a phone.