"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 3-Line, Leich & Custom AECO Number Cards

Started by KaiserFrazer67, March 15, 2017, 05:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiserFrazer67

Hi all,

Just wanted to share some custom number cards I made for some of the phones I have.  All of them are the Automatic Electric style of cut.

The programs I used weren't the greatest, and were only what came with my iMac when I bought it 10 years ago:  ArcSoft PhotoStudio 4 for Canon, and Apple Preview 5.0.3, but still, I think they turned out OK.

First is a blank 3-line version of the Kellogg card.  This is basically just a scan of an original card with the lettering in the box removed, the color stabilized, and the lines cleaned up.  I left the "dot matrix" appearance of the Kellogg "griffon-K" intact.  This one is for my metal-bodied Redbar.

The next two are modified from Mark Furze's submissions in the TCI library (http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_details/3857-dialcard2), cropping out a single AE card and using it as a template:

The first of these is a version of the Leich 12404 card as shown in GSP 473-820-100:
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/document-repository/catalogs-manuals/automatic-electric/doc_details/497-gsp-473-820-100-i3-dials-fingerwheels-number-cards 
I wanted to make a cleaned-up version of the 12285 card that came in a neighbor's old Leich 901B magneto phone, which I had actually used (with a sticker overlay with my own number printed on it) in my WE 302.  When I finally got a Leich 901 with a dial in it from Oldphoneworks, I wanted to make an AE-cut version of it.  I actually didn't find the GSP document until after I made the dial card, to find out there actually was an AE-cut version of it back in the day. :)

Last is my version of the AECO diamond logo incorporated in the D-53620-A "Art Deco" 3-line card introduced (according to the aforementioned GSP) in 1955.  I always thought Automatic Electric's old logo was kind of cool, so I found an old advertisement (Railway Age, Oct. 16, 1937, page 30), scanned the logo, cleaned it up, resized it, and put it on the dial card.  This one is currently on my "project" AE 50 that I will be posting more pictures of soon.

Enjoy!
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

KaiserFrazer67

Thought I'd add a couple more concoctions of mine.  :D

First one is the white version of the black 3-line "Art Deco" AE card, with the AECO diamond logo added.  Then I thought "Well, the older AECO diamond logo does have that wide bar in the middle...  Plenty of room for a phone number!

Enjoy!

nolan613

Success is not final,
failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts

Winston Churchill

mentalstampede

My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

KaiserFrazer67

Adding another one to the list.

This idea was born out of the need to create a dial card for a Canadian Phillips-built AE 40 with a British GPO dial which I recently picked up at an area antique mall.  I couldn't find an MTS dial card online as used on some of the Northern Electric phones I've seen for sale on some of the major old phone vendor sites (which is the only card I've seen for use on North American GPO dials), so I made my own.  The logo used in the creation of this was found on the upper right-hand corner of page 4 of this document: 

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/document-repository/catalogs-manuals/automatic-electric/doc_details/10538-this-is-automatic-electric-1955-ocr-r

I don't know how much AE actually used this logo, as that is the only place which I have seen it, but it works for my purposes.

I've included two versions:  one with an AE cut, using the same template as the other AE ones above, and one inside a plain circle.  Size should be 1.600 inches to work in the old-style GPO dial with metal fingerwheel and dial card ring.

KaiserFrazer67

I'm re-opening this thread to add a couple card blanks I cleaned up to use in Automatic Electric dials; these bear the old "General System" logo use by the "pre-GTE" General Telephone system.

The first one is for use in the older-style metal fingerwheels with the old-style of AE cut; the second, the later style for use under the plastic fingerwheel.

These can be modified to add your particular area code (even if it didn't exist back then, such as my 920 area code) through Photoshop or any other similar graphics mod program.  The style of font used for the area code is Copperplate.  Use the eye-dropper (or similar tool) to duplicate the color of the text; then, after typing your area code, use the appropriate tools to match the size and maneuver it in to the correct position.  Then simply add your phone number below it in the appropriate font.

EDIT:  I added an un-altered original General System dial card to show you what the original looked like, if you want to try to match up the phone number font (which looks like it was a rubber stamp).  As you can see, I'd moved some of the design elements around a bit for better symmetry, and whitened up the background.

Good luck, and enjoy!

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

be sure to send copies of these to oldphoneworks.com... they might pick up the designs. I've been after them to offer the 2 line dial centers in a WE cut. right now, they just offer them in the AE version... frustrating! Great job!
John