News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Took a Gamble: Color 302?

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

What do you guys think about this 302? I have an inkling that it peking red underneath, but I can't be sure. What do you think?

-Ken

Fabius

Too bad there's no shot of the plungers.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WesternElectricBen

Good luck... Lets hope the peaking red underneath the black is peking red. (pun intended.)

Ben

TelePlay

Where did you find it and how much did you pay for it? Is there a link to the listing if an online purchase?

WEBellSystemChristian

That's definitely Pekin red. Take a look at the grooveless handset! Nice job spotting that!!!
First Rose Beige and ivory 500s, then a 1950 500, and now this...

If the paint isn't Polane (it looks like a Basement Job to me, as if the paint was brushed on) then I would suggest using Super Clean to remove it. It works for small Polane-coated objects, but really works very well on spray painted plastics (the paint will practically fall off after a little bit of time in some Super Clean). You can find it at Walmart, in a big purple jug by the auto-care section.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

I hope you are correct Ken, the black paint is sloppy at best. Word of Caution...there is red paint on the curly cord. I hope you hit another home run....Doug
Kidphone

Kenton K

Yes, I figured that. I'm thinking that the handset is either a) red grooveless b) other color grooveless or c)black groovelss; which I could probably get some money back if it turns out to be a flop.

Oh, and here is the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-F1-BLACK-ROTARY-DIAL-TELEPHONE-/191351839159

Ken

Sargeguy

The dial is a good indicator that it is a color set.  Whether it is a thermoplastic or painted metal one will be interesting. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Love the AC lamp cord for the line cord.  Nice touch.  You might consider changing that..... :D
-Bill G

unbeldi

The seller stated that it looks like the phone was brown underneath the black paint. I see no reason to doubt that.

This seems to be confirmed by the splashes of brown on the finger wheel and the handset cord. The places where black paint has chipped off also appear the same color, brown, not red.  Red would really stand out.

The handset appears to be the plastic variety, as the handle shows the lines of the grip closure insert that bears the inscription. Unfortunately the inscription is completely unreadable, that would have given the type away with certainty. In any case, likely, the housing is plastic too in that case. The dial is a No. 6 dial, and if it is indeed a 6D, the phone would be likely dated in 1953 or early 1954. If it is a 6A-3 having a Lucite finger wheel substituted then it could be a year older. In any case, the dial might also indicate that the housing is plastic. Metal housings would most likely still have a 5J dial. Since the handset appears to come from a color phone, the dial probably did too, and would in fact be a 6D.

I have seen 6D dials in nice condition sell for $50, so it wouldn't be a total loss if the set turns out to be less than what you expect.

What else?  hmm, the cords as you all noted are a piece of art, of course. Fantastic, lol.

WEBellSystemChristian

I think unbeldi is right; the color looks too subdued to be Pekin Red, although it still looks red. The brown that was rarely used for 302 sets (like Doug Rose's example) was barely light enough to be noticed, and probably wouldn't be light enough to be seen peeking out from under black paint.

Is it possible that this could be Blood Red? It looks like the right shade of color...
Christian Petterson

xhausted110

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 30, 2014, 12:48:24 AM
Love the AC lamp cord for the line cord.  Nice touch.  You might consider changing that..... :D
Single pair drop wire is much like lamp cord, but solid instead of stranded. a little overkill in my opinion.
- Evan

Doug Rose

Christian the blood red sets were a SOFT plastic shell with a painted black grooved F1 to match, so I am leaning against it. Still a great treasure awaits under that lousy black paint job....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine why anybody would have painted a red phone black!  What were they thinking?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on October 01, 2014, 01:37:47 PM
For the life of me, I cannot imagine why anybody would have painted a red phone black!  What were they thinking?
Some people like to use a phone that has brushed-on, flat black paint rather than a stunningly beautiful, shiny red phone. Those people are probably living the rest of their lives in a padded cell! ;)
Christian Petterson