News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Took a Gamble: Color 302?

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Understood Christian.  Thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't thinking about the submerging part.  Makes good sense.

Dennis

Matilo Telephones

Wow, congratulations! So it was red after all. Well spotted.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Kenton K

Good progress guys. I just finished cleaning the shell. The black paint is a little difficult. Super clean works super well on the brown paint, but not so good on the black paint. I ended up using a little sandpaper to remove the top black layer before using denatured alcohol to get rid of the brown paint. Unfortunately, the date stamps were also removed in this process; I used vaseline, but the markings still dissolved. There are also two corner cracks that I don't feel like fixing, so I have glued them just to prevent them from growing.

Halfway there! Next, the handset!

-Ken

Doug Rose

WOW!!!   WOW!! That is amazing....WOW!!....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Dennis Markham

It's looking great, Ken!  Nice job.

Kenton K

Finally done! I spend a few hours today rounding off the handset. Besides the usual hairline cracks, it's looking pretty good. I was contemplating buying red OPW cords, but I didn't feel like spending more on cords than on the phone itself; so I just used a brown cloth cords which looks just fine.

Before this, I didn't ever envision be able to own a red 302! I have been contemplating painting a fixer upper black 302 just to add a little spunk to the 302 collection. Now, maybe i'll paint one blue, or even purple!

-Kenton

Before:

After:

JimH

Beautiful job, Kenton!  Keep your eyes open, lightning might strike twice! :)
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

That was a great way to put a phone on your shelf that you thought you couldn't own!  Nice job of bringing it back.  Very nice!

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

What a great find and what a great restoration job!  Sweet!

-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Very beautiful turnaround!!! You should be proud!!!

:) ;) :D ;D :o :o :P
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Ken...you brought a beautiful phone back from the dead. There is no greater satisfaction in collecting telephones than what you accomplished. You should be very proud. This is just an amazing transformation. I don't think I have ever seen a more dramatic result. Congrats.... You earned it!!!...Doug
Kidphone

tallguy58

Fantastic job! What a great looking phone.
Cheers........Bill