"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1543 - Decorator Colors and Style Variations

Started by stopthemachine, June 02, 2019, 12:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopthemachine

Hello,

I have been an avid collector of the Stromberg-Carlson 1500 series of phone for many years now, but I have had a hard time of acquiring the phone in original brown plastic.

Please message me if you're interested in parting with an S-C 1543 in original brown.  I won't turn down any reasonable offers.

Thank you in advance,
Dan

paul-f

Dan,

Brown is one of the more challenging colors in that series.

I hope you plan to get to Lancaster early. There are several sellers that have had brown sets in the past -- but they go fast!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

kleenax

Quote from: stopthemachine on June 02, 2019, 12:31:50 AM
Hello,

I have been an avid collector of the Stromberg-Carlson 1500 series of phone for many years now, but I have had a hard time of acquiring the phone in original brown plastic.

Please message me if you're interested in parting with an S-C 1543 in original brown.  I won't turn down any reasonable offers.

Thank you in advance,
Dan
How about this color?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

stopthemachine

Quote from: kleenax on June 03, 2019, 10:03:55 PM
How about this color?
WOW!  That is AMAZING!  I have NEVER seen a CLEAR 1543!  I have been so busy the past year that I haven't checked boards!  D'oh!

stopthemachine

Quote from: paul-f on June 02, 2019, 04:21:17 PM
Dan,

Brown is one of the more challenging colors in that series.

I hope you plan to get to Lancaster early. There are several sellers that have had brown sets in the past -- but they go fast!

I wished I had made it.  I don't think there are/will be many phone shows THIS year.  Sigh.

Jim Stettler

The closest I have is a 2-tone.

I do have an incomplete clear set. To make it a full clear set I need all the plastic except for the plungers .
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I saw 2 manual ones in colors this morning on eBay but when I went back to look after seeing this thread I could not find them. I don't know if they sold or not. One was Pink and I don't recall the other color. If I come across them again I will post here.

Found them!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-Carlson-Rotary-Desk-Phone-Housing-COMPLETE-NEW/313118192498

Click "see other items" for the Beige one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Those appear to be the later 500-look SC sets.
SC did make a 500-type conversion housing for the 1543's. The "tell" is the feet.

SC 1543's are a cool looking set, The desk style  can be converted for wall use when you change the plungers to  "Crab-claw" style.
They also made a cool looking (WE )554 type wall phone.  I have a few of the  wall sets in color, I recently discovered I have a dark grey wall set (one of those phones I didn't realize I ever owned).  I prefer desk sets, mainly because I have more shelf space than wall space..

There are also some variations/specialty sets based on the SC1543. The variations are SC. The specialty sets used the SC 1543 as a core.

Here is a color brochure from Paul F's site.
http://www.paul-f.com/color_b.html#SC1543
Jim

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Here is a shiny gold set (not mine). >>EDIT<< it is now mine 6/23/20>>EDIT<<
Also a crab claw desk set (not mine)
You live, You learn,

MMikeJBenN27

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

MMikeJBenN27

I have three of these - a soft plastic yellow one with the solid diamond pattern handset AND the volume control switch for the ringer, a soft plastic red wall model, also with the diamond pattern handset, and an aqua "hard plastic" desk set that I just got.  The ringer didn't work, so I substituted a 20 cycle frequency ringer in it that works perfectly on my line.  These are kool phones, but I wish it were possible to substitute a WE dial assembly - I am left handed, and the WE style dials are much easier to use left handed.  Still, I like them.

Mike

kleenax

I have several BROWN 1543 bodies if anyone is interested in putting one together. Remember, these also came in 2-tone with Black handset, Dial number plate & plungers, so don't be afraid if you don't have any other Brown parts! And yes, even if you have NO 1543 parts, I can help.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

rdelius

i have all the parts for a brown set except the housing  might have extra plungers or wall claws .in storage

likewow

The brown casing looks great with the black phone. I'd like to buy one from you  :)