News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

9/51 500 Reverse Painted Bezel?

Started by rp2813, May 13, 2014, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I won a 500T dated 9/51.    The thing that attracted me to the phone was the dial bezel.  It sure looks to me like it's an early reverse painted type.

The bezel has the fine print alpha & numeric characters, but is there any way to confirm one way or the other from this picture before the phone arrives?

Ralph

WesternElectricBen

Nice find,

Do you mind if I ask, how much did you pay for it?

Ben

rp2813

Hey Ben,

Let's just say that the $21 for shipping cost somewhat more than the phone itself. 

I'm surprised not only that I won, but that I was the only bidder.  I did get a feeling that this one could be a sleeper when I first saw it.  I'm anxious to find out to what extent it might be matching dates.
Ralph

RotarDad

I saw this one an hour before it ended.  I sent the seller a message since there was no bottom pic.  I didn't hear back in time, so I let it go.  Good to hear you got it, Ralph!

Paul

rp2813

Paul, I requested pictures of the bottom and the seller responded that he would send them to me directly.  I thought that was a very nice if not naive gesture, as I'm sure there would have been more competition for the phone if the 500T markings had been displayed for all to see.

I didn't remember much about the 500T so before I even placed a bid, I did some searching here.  Since they seem to be in demand to a certain extent, I was concerned the bidder would receive more requests like mine and that a bidding war would ensue -- one that I would lose.   I wasn't willing to pay more than $40 total for the phone and  shipping. 

I'm anxious to get inside it and see how original it is.  The suede feet are smooth and brown so the phone did see a decent amount of use, and the markings on the bottom are legible, but kind of worn.  There aren't any subsequent markings so this phone appears never to have gone back in for refurbishing.

I'm interested in testing the reception on this phone.  I'm on the edge of my exchange, as subscribers to the side and rear of my home are served by a different CO.  That having been said, I don't feel I'm terribly far from my own CO (maybe 1.5 miles as the crow flies) so it will be interesting to check if there's a difference (increase) in volume.

I doubt the seller knows what became of the handset cord.  I didn't bother to ask.  I have some coiled spares I can install for testing purposes.  I know the early handset cords with short leads on the network end aren't easy to come by.

I don't think this would be considered a "Find of the Month" even if it turns out to be original with matching dates, but it seems like even with the cost of shipping I got a decent deal.

Ralph

Dan/Panther

Ralph, Your gamble paid off, I usually will not bid unless I see a bottom photo.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

Oh yeah, same here Dan.   I just had a hunch it was worth requesting bottom pix in an attempt to confirm my suspicions about the bezel and what might be a corresponding pre-'52 date.

Otherwise, if no bottom shots are included and the phone looks run of the mill, I pass it by.  Same for 500s with round neoprene feet regardless of original date, and the later '50s/early '60s waffle pattern feet.
Ralph

RotarDad

Ralph - I figured you had gotten an inside scoop to know the date and model w/o a pic....  That's great - I hope it all matches.  The line cord looks very long so perhaps it was replaced, but hopefully not.  I have a nice all-matching 4/51 500T with the small font "operator" (paid $70, but had enough pics to be pretty confident it was untouched) and I didn't want to bid on yours unless it was a '50, which I couldn't confirm..... just too many black 500s already..... OK, maybe just one more wouldn't have been a bad thing...

Good buy, great price.  Let us know what you find when you open it up!
Paul