News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial plate removal

Started by Dave203, April 15, 2015, 11:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave203

Hello everybody. Can someone help me figure out how to remove a dial plate from a phone I am working on? I don't know exactly what type of dial this is. It has a stamp 7C-51 date 6-64 is it a 7C dial? I have the finger wheel off and I'd like to clean the dial plate but can't get it off. I removed the finger stopper and still there's a nub that sticks out of that hole and I removed two screws from the center under the finger wheel. I will try to add a close up photo of my problem.

TelePlay

Didn't have time to go down an do one but IIRC for this dial, it's just to take off the 7/16" nut, lift off the star washer, then the bezel retainer and the bezed can then be lifter off. I may be wrong and if I am, I hope someone gives you the right information. Just haven't taken one of these off in a while.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on April 16, 2015, 08:50:13 AM
Didn't have time to go down an do one but IIRC for this dial, it's just to take off the 7/16" nut, lift off the star washer, then the bezel retainer and the bezed can then be lifter off. I may be wrong and if I am, I hope someone gives you the right information. Just haven't taken one of these off in a while.
Like John said, just remove the nut and washer. The spider mount (chrome fingerwheel attachment piece, immediately under the washer, the thing with arms and bow that releases the fingerwheel) sometimes feels like it's permanently attached to the dial, but it just takes a little coaxing. You could try to 'wiggle' it it off, pulling out until it comes off.

If it comes right off, then you can just take the plate off, since you said you already took the screws out.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dave203

Thank you guys for the info.
I tried to loosen that nut but it was on so tight I just left it and polished around it. I am new to taking these a part and I'd hate to not get it back together :D

Does anyone know if this dial special for its open face finger wheel or can any finger wheel be used with it?

I found an att logo on paper and cut it out for a number card.

TelePlay

Quote from: Dave203 on April 16, 2015, 09:59:05 PM
Thank you guys for the info.
I tried to loosen that nut but it was on so tight I just left it and polished around it.

If you want to remove it, a few drops of WD-40 and let it sit for a few days, keeping it wet with WD-40 may help break the rust seal.

poplar1

Quote from: Dave203 on April 16, 2015, 09:59:05 PM
Does anyone know if this dial special for its open face finger wheel or can any finger wheel be used with it?

7-type dials are designed for either open center finger wheels or black metal finger wheels. If you use a later type plastic finger wheel, you will need to change or bend the finger stop so that the finger wheel won't bind.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

As far as I know, any lucite fingerwheel (later open-center or any closed-center) will work on any dial the other fits on. Open centers can fit on 9-type-dials, as can closed-centers fit on 7-types. Of course, finger stop adjustment may be required for the latter.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 17, 2015, 11:04:53 AM
As far as I know, any lucite fingerwheel (later open-center or any closed-center) will work on any dial the other fits on. Open centers can fit on 9-type-dials, as can closed-centers fit on 7-types. Of course, finger stop adjustment may be required for the latter.
This is not entirely true.  The lucite plastic finger wheels of the 5J dial from 1949 (or earlier) to ca. 1952 do not have a hole to push down the locking tab.  So, while they could possibly be mounted on a later mounting star, they cannot be removed.

Dave203

Thanks again for the info. I had trouble on a few other phones and I put some wd40 on it over night and I was able to loosen it. I also had trouble getting off a fingerwheel on another phone but that was a paper clip issue or a mis-matched dial that just didn't want to come off. Some of the plastic broke and I guess I need a new wheel for that one but no big deal.  I should invest in the proper tool for wheel removal one day but I'm having fun with what I have. Thanks again :)

Russ Kirk

Quote from: unbeldi on April 17, 2015, 01:12:03 PM

This is not entirely true.  The lucite plastic finger wheels of the 5J dial from 1949 (or earlier) to ca. 1952 do not have a hole to push down the locking tab.  So, while they could possibly be mounted on a later mounting star, they cannot be removed.

So if the lucite fingerwheel cannot be removed, there is a no way to change the number card?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

That's what I meant by "later", the era that came after that style.
Christian Petterson

Contempra

Dave203.......Your face plate is easyly removable after removing the 2 scews retaining the face plate. just remove de 7/16 screw ( if not blocked -if blocked, use WD40 )Beware when you will remove the 2 screws and the 2 washers ( star, spider ) because you could satellize the retainer spring . this is the same dial i have and i cleaned it easyly.. yes mine has passed more than 20 years in a basement ( other post ).. Sorry, the english language is not my main language :) hope you will understand what I want to say you.

cloyd

Unbeldi,
You say, The lucite plastic finger wheels of the 5J dial from 1949 (or earlier) to ca. 1952 do not have a hole to push down the locking tab.  So, while they could possibly be mounted on a later mounting star, they cannot be removed."  I have a 5J dial (1952) and I do NOT see a paper clip hole.  Are you saying that it can not be taken off the dial at all?  This dial really needs cleaning and I want a better look at the dial card.  The clear plastic finger wheel is cracked at one spot and I would like to have it off of the dial to fix it.  Advice?
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Phonesrfun

Here is the information on removing the 5J dial fingerwheel (From the TCI library).  Yes, it is removable.

Click on the attachment.
-Bill G

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on August 23, 2015, 09:16:57 PM
Unbeldi,
You say, The lucite plastic finger wheels of the 5J dial from 1949 (or earlier) to ca. 1952 do not have a hole to push down the locking tab.  So, while they could possibly be mounted on a later mounting star, they cannot be removed."  I have a 5J dial (1952) and I do NOT see a paper clip hole.  Are you saying that it can not be taken off the dial at all?  This dial really needs cleaning and I want a better look at the dial card.  The clear plastic finger wheel is cracked at one spot and I would like to have it off of the dial to fix it.  Advice?
Tina

Here is what the finger wheel mount looked like after the war to 1952 for the P-372629 finger wheel without the hole.   

The mounting assembly consisted of two parts, a mounting star that fits into slots in the wheel's inner ridge and a rotating latch that secured the FW in position. The latch was opened by rotating it counterclockwise with a flat tool pressed against a small vertical tab located between digit positions 6 and 7.
When you look under the FW from the side one should see a little tab. It is marked in the picture.

It is a pain to remove and reinstall.

Do you have this type of mount?