News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

candlestick phone/685 or 684 subset

Started by southernphoneman, July 08, 2013, 04:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

I just purchased a candlestick, am I able to hook it up to a 685 subset and have it work properly or does it have to be hooked up to a 684/634? I have both.thank you.

Phonesrfun

The 685 subset wiring can be modified to take a candlestick, but the proper subset would be the older style, and the exact subset needed would depend on whether the candlestick was a sidetone or antisidetone stick.  What model did you purchase?  Does it have three or four conductors in the deskset cord?
-Bill G

southernphoneman

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 08, 2013, 06:49:53 PM
The 685 subset wiring can be modified to take a candlestick, but the proper subset would be the older style, and the exact subset needed would depend on whether the candlestick was a sidetone or antisidetone stick.  What model did you purchase?  Does it have three or four conductors in the deskset cord?
haven t received the phone yet but, it is a western electric 40 AL and according to the photos it has no mounting cord(I will have to install a cord, and I am assuming that it will have to be 4 conductor)I have never owned a candlestick and don t know whether its a sidetone or anti sidetone or not,anymore input would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your reply. :)

poplar1

About 99% of the non-dial WE candlesticks are sidetone--3 conductor cord. So normally, a 1040AL would be connected to a 534A subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

thank you to phonesrfun and poplar1 for your answers,i will probably look for a 534 subset.

zaphod01

How did you make out with the 40AL? Did you end up using a 534 subset? I have a 20AL on the way in and face the same issues...
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

southernphoneman

Quote from: zaphod01 on July 16, 2013, 09:58:25 PM
How did you make out with the 40AL? Did you end up using a 534 subset? I have a 20AL on the way in and face the same issues...hi, I haven t found a 534 yet,and i opened up the receiver and the there was no receiver capsule,so that is under repair still.

zaphod01

I have a 684BX on the way. It will be a fun week!

southernphoneman

found out that I can use and have purchased a 302 base for a 684 subset for this candlestick phone.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

zaphod01

I bought a 534A today and a 684A last week. Also bought another 20AL candlestick. Now I just have to get them all hooked up and working! I have a nice 202 for the 684A.

My 20AL with the 4-wire cord seems to work fine on the 684BX. I'm going to get busy this weekend and find out where the black wire terminates inside the phone. It shouldn't be there on a 20AL.