News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - January 2017

Started by AE_Collector, January 01, 2017, 02:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - January 2017   *** VOTE FOR TWO ***

Fabius' Northern Electric N43AB extension bell box $12.91 and shipping from Canada $20.28
6 (20.7%)
Jrs1958 8-53 Western Electric Model 501.  All numbers matching $20 from antique mall
6 (20.7%)
TelePlay's AE dial with chrome FW c/w a 1939 H1 metal housing WE 302. $38 & $12 Shipping
6 (20.7%)
Sargeguy's Charles Williams top box marked "N.E. TEL. & TEL. CO. 1890" for $181 on eBay
11 (37.9%)
Al_as_needed's blue WE 500, picked up from goodwill for 20$. All parts date matching 4-62
8 (27.6%)
Autonut's 1955 Northern Electric 302 picked up from a Kijiji seller for $15.00
6 (20.7%)
compubit's dates matching 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set for $183 + $17 shipping on eBay
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 29

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:  --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:  --> Photo Album <--

Terry

Subject Line

Find of the amounts - January 2017

A little to much New Years Cheer when posting this Terry. :)

AL_as_needed

Or we are switching to quantity over quality, parts boxes here we come!  ::)
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

Yeah management quickly nixed that new idea for 2017 so we are back to just the old familiar "Find of the Month".

My find of the month would be a new iPad!

Terry

Fabius

I nominate my Northern Electric extension bell box marked on back N43AB. The 3 inch bells have excellent nickle and the Northern Electric sticker is in excellent condition. Cost was $12.91 USD and shipping from Canada was $20.28 USD. In excellent condition.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jrs1958

I submit my 8-53 Western Electric Model 501.  All numbers matching phone including cords.  Beautiful condition inside and out, $20 antique mall.

------------
EDIT: images rotated and combined into one post

TelePlay

I'll nominate this AE dial with chrome finger wheel that came with an 1939 H1 metal housing WE 302. A nice, solid parts phone with the dial for my Ashtray and the rest to be restored to a 1939 WE 302. Dates: base 3-39; 101-A  I-39; SL ringer 3-39. The F1W handset was replace in 1952. The straight line and handset cords are stiff but not damaged beyond use. The interior is clean, the exterior needs help. The dial a bit fast at 11.4 pps. $38 plus $12 shipping on eBay.

A discussion of the phone is at this link:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17474.0

I'll nominate what seems to be an interesting H1 metal housing Northern Electric WE 302 with chrome finger wheel AE dial that has a refurb history, a bit of a frankenphone - a nice set with issues. Dates: base 3-39; 101-A  I-39; SL ringer 3-39. The F1W handset was replace in 1952. The straight line and handset cords are stiff but not damaged beyond use. The interior is clean, the exterior needs help. The dial a bit fast at 11.4 pps. $38 plus $12 shipping on eBay.

Or it could be something else, discussion of the phone is at this link:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17474.0

Sargeguy

I'll jump in with my Charles Williams top box marked "N.E. TEL. & TEL. CO. 1890" it features many parts from early, pre-Western Electric, American Bell Telephone licensees. Missing the hook and crank, and the correct Thomas Watson ringer, as well as a couple binding posts and few other screws but is mostly compete.  $181 off eBay

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17506.0
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

And a reminder to nominate your Finds for January 2017. Just a few days left in the month.

Terry

AL_as_needed

Oh why not,

I nominate my blue WE 500, picked up from goodwill for 20$ and change. All parts date matching 4-62 (other than handset elements), early open center finger wheel, and a nice dial card specific to that era of Buffalo telephone exchange history.
TWinbrook7

Slal

Quote from: AL_as_needed on January 01, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
Or we are switching to quantity over quality, parts boxes here we come!  ::)

I can't nominate the cardboard box a Telemania P-51 novelty phone came in?  Life's so unfair...  : D

--Bruce

I'll throw in my fresh find. My 1955 Northern Electric 302.

I picked it up from a Kijiji seller for $15.00.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17575.0

compubit

I know I don't have a snowball's chance, but...

My dates matching 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set. Got it for $183 + $17 shipping on eBay. Seller gets bonus points for packing: wrapped in fabric, then bubble wrapped (handset separate from base), with extra protection added in for safety.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Slal

Quote from: compubit on January 29, 2017, 11:10:57 PM
I know I don't have a snowball's chance, but...

My dates matching 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set. Got it for $183 + $17 shipping on eBay. Seller gets bonus points for packing: wrapped in fabric, then bubble wrapped (handset separate from base), with extra protection added in for safety.

Jim

Congrads!  I'd say a deal like that is a very well insulated snowball for netherworld.   :)

Might be a buyer's market if people worried about the economy.

Two of them in the last couple of months seem to have gone for much less than just three months ago.  (In August, my offer on a brown WEco 500 with BIN/OBO of $425 was a moot point.  Someone bought it for the BIN price < 30 seconds after I'd submitted!  Another one on auction in December went for a little less than $225 if remember correctly.)

A worthy contender & nice score!   

--Bruce 

AE_Collector

Okay, I know everyone feels as though they JUST FINISHED VOTING, but that was for Find of the YEAR. Now it is February 2017 which means it is time to vote for the January Find of the Month.

Vote for your favorite TWO Finds and then I promise there will be just one Find of the Month to vote for per month for the next TWELVE MONTHS.

Terry