Started by Sargeguy, November 04, 2012, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a classic fake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331697138551? ( dead link 07-05-21 )
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Brass or painted they still have the same November 1910 date!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Here's another reproduction candlestick that sold on Ebay.  it's easy to pick these out from the authentic phones, so why did it sell for so high?  $255 + shipping.  The only part that looks like it might be authentic is the dial - the ringer box looks pretty good, but it's not a Western Electric as the label indicates.  I kind of like how they mounted the transformer, but they left out the condenser for the receiver, and only installed a Cap for the ringer.  Candlestick worth $50, ringer $205?  Even the receiver is a repro.

Is there a market for fakes, that people are willing to pay more than an original is worth?

Fake 51AL
Dave

wds

more pics. 
Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

Did anyone notice the 11-71 date on the receiver element?

compubit

Quote from: andre_janew on January 02, 2016, 12:25:05 PM
Did anyone notice the 11-71 date on the receiver element?

But that's 1871, right???   ::)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

HarrySmith

That is the reproduction mouthpiece, it will accept any modern transmitter. I used a couple with a WE U-2!
The cup is always dated November 1910 on these repros.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

That part couldn't have an 1871 date.  I thought the telephone wasn't invented until 1876!

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a great example, and a matching FAKE subset. I love the fake bells and clapper, when you can clearly see the c4a 500 ringer just underneath it:

www.ebay.com/itm/371686848869
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

FABphones

This was a bit of a test I set myself really. I've taken the exam, now I need those of you with more Candlestick experience to mark me please.  ;)

Do you think this is an original, or a later replica? For various reasons I came to the conclusion it was a later replica, but would like to know if you knowledgeable folks agree.

I will reveal why I thought replica, and what this sold for, plus how many watchers later (as the latter two might be a bit of a clue - or not!  :D ).  Thanks.   :)

Photos:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Not very familiar with Europen candlesticks but from the look of the reciever I would say repro.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ThePillenwerfer

Replica, though probably from the early 1970's so arguably "Vintage" in its own right.  The originals had a pressed steel base.

andy1702

I agree with what has already been said. If it's a genuine GPO phone from the UK then the base and column should be steel and painted black. However most replicas don't have that old style cord, nor do they have an early dial (dial 10 or 12). However I seem to remember there was someone around in the 60s or 70s making pretty convincing rteplicas using a lot of genuine ex-GPO parts. So my guess is very early replica, possibly from the 1960s. However if you have a close look at that dial you may well find a much earlier date.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.