News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ringer box will it work with todays volatge and how should it be wired?(FIXED!)

Started by Dave Beck, January 28, 2014, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

GOOD News I found the broken wire and have repaired the ringer. I am getting 1128 ohms across the coils. Do I need the still need a 1uf capacitor for this ohm reading?

Thanks!!!
Dave

Dave Beck

I have started looking for a 1uf capacitor, loads on ebay but I see different voltages displayed such as 50 volts and 100 volts. Which one do I need?
Dave

wds

Dave

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave Beck on January 29, 2014, 11:48:54 AM
I have started looking for a 1uf capacitor, loads on ebay but I see different voltages displayed such as 50 volts and 100 volts. Which one do I need?
Dave

Generally you want something above 100 Volts (as ringing current is usually up to about 100v, depending on what the exchange equipment is putting out), in my ringer box that I made using a WE C4A ringer, I used a 0.47uF 275 Volt capacitor which works well, so long as it's voltage is rated for more than is needed, it should be fine... :)

Dave Beck

Ringer complete, but doesn't ring properly. It rings which ever bell that the clapper is closest to very lightly. The clapper doesn't go back and forth from each bell. Are the bells supposed to have a rubber or other material under the bell to isolate it? or do the bells just screw to the support?

Attaching pictures.

twocvbloke

To my eyes, the gongs look a bit too close together, the clapper should have about a millimetre or two of a gap between it and the edge of the gong as the arm of the clapper will bend slightly as it travels back and forth and the tip bends just enough to strike the gong, if that gap isn't there, then it'll just sit there not doing much more than a bit of a rattle... :)

wds

You did a very nice job refinishing the ringer.  As said before, widen the gap between the bells.  It could be that the ringer is a power hog and you might need a 2nd cap wired in parallel to increase the voltage a little.
Dave

Spanish_phones

Congratulations! You've done an excellent job!!! I'm so impressed!!! :O 

Well done!

HarrySmith

If adjusting the gongs does not work for you try adjusting the clapper. See picture, the adjustment is circled. When I do this I loosen the lock nut and adjust the scrrew while it is ringing to get the best sound.
Very nice restoration by the way ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dave Beck on February 03, 2014, 04:40:17 PM
Ringer complete, but doesn't ring properly. It rings which ever bell that the clapper is closest to very lightly. The clapper doesn't go back and forth from each bell. Are the bells supposed to have a rubber or other material under the bell to isolate it? or do the bells just screw to the support?

Beautiful job.

The gongs just screw directly to the support.  Most were drilled with excentric off-centered holes so that the gongs could be rotated and the position of the edge of the gong could be adjusted so that there was more or less room between the clapper and the edge of the gong.  This is how the volume was normally adjusted.

You could also check to make sure that the rocker action of the armature against the electromagnet poles has suffieient travel so that the clapper itself has enough travel back and forth to strike the gongs.  Some are adjustable ad some are not.  Also check the pivot needle and seat.  Make sure it is not adjusted so tight that it binds and resists movement.  It should be able to pivot back and forth on that needle bearing with no resistance, but also it should not be so loose that it flops around .  There is a screw and a nut for adjusting the tension of the seat with respect to the "needle" of the pointed pivot axis.  (The part that Harry Smith highlighted in the picture)

-Bill G

Dave Beck

Thanks everyone for the input on the ringer, I have adjust the bells and the clapper, the problem seems to bee that the clapper hardly moves even with the bells adjusted all the way out it barely vibrates. the clapper was a tad tight so I loosened it but still no change.

Could the magnet need to be charged or made stronger?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dave Beck on February 03, 2014, 07:45:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the input on the ringer, I have adjust the bells and the clapper, the problem seems to bee that the clapper hardly moves even with the bells adjusted all the way out it barely vibrates. the clapper was a tad tight so I loosened it but still no change.

Could the magnet need to be charged or made stronger?

If the armature barely moves by hand, then that suggests a mechanical problem and not a problem with the magnet.  It should flip-flop back and forth with enough travel to make the clapper ball at the other end of the shaft move a good quarter inch or more.  Check between the flat parts of the armature and the pole ends of each coil to make sure there is not dirt or iron filings wedged or trapped in there that would keep the armature from rocking back and forth.
-Bill G

Dave Beck

The armature moves freely, from one edge of hole to the other but it just barely moves when it is ringing.
Dave

Phonesrfun

OK, well, then it's something else.  Yes, it could be the magnet, but lets address one more thing. 

You mentioned having to reconnect the coils because one wire was broken.  There are a couple things to check here.  One would be the total coil resistance of each of the coils individually.  Hopefully one of the coils is not shorted, out.  The other thing to check is that the coils are wired in series in a way that when one coil is pulling on the armature, the other one is repelling and so on as the alternating cycle goes on.  Each side aids the other.  If one coil was placed in series but wired with the coils phased in the opposite way from their original configuration, they could be negating each other rather than aiding each other.  This is probably not too likely, since you'd have to wind up taking an entire coil off and put it on backwards for that to be the case.

-Bill G

Dave Beck

I checked the coils this morning and got the following readings. Total ohms (both coils) 1067 each coil 708 on one and 670 on the other.

there are 2 wires on each coil. two wires are together and the other two attach to the line one on each terminal.

What triggers the ringer to work? Is the voltage increased when receiving a call? Remember you are dealing with a novice here.

Thanks for the help,
Dave