"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

phone only dials the #1 ????????????

Started by antiqueguy, June 09, 2012, 10:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Quote from: poplar1 on June 15, 2012, 09:42:11 AM
<snip>...other than convenience (cell phones) and economics ("free" long distance and/or cheaper monthly charges), is there ANY reason why ANYONE would want VOIP, Comcast Digital Voice, MagicJack....or for that matter cell phones or cordless phones???? I think Western Electric did well to introduce "common battery" phones around 1900, and can't see that a battery dependent cell phone or cordless phone is an improvement!

I am in 100% agreement here.  I've had the same POTS phone number since 1964, and I, for one, sure can't think of any good reason to get rid of it.  It is completely reliable, works when the power is out or when the internet is down, has great sound quality, and I can use both my touchtone and rotary phones with no hassle.

Here's an interesting little anecdote about cell phones: Being old-fashioned as I seem to be, my cell phone is a 12-year-old Nokia dumb phone which I carry with me for use in an emergency.  From time to time it admittedly does come in handy.  Although it still works flawlessly, not a month goes by where Verizon doesn't hound me about the "benefits" of upgrading to something "new and improved".  One day, a few years ago, I received an unsolicited text message on my Nokia.  Heck, up until then I didn't even know that the phone was capable of texting, as I personally have no use for such nonsense.  Anyway, I deleted the errant message and thought no more about it until I received my next Verizon bill and saw that I had been charged 15¢ for the text, PLUS additional taxes and fees for the privilege of having received it!  I immediately called Verizon and instructed them it deduct all the charges relating to that text, which they did with no hassle.  I then told them to DISABLE text messaging on my cell phone permanently.  The Verizon agent, who must have been an 18-year-old girl, asked me, "Why would anybody ever want to do something like that?"  Knowing that any answer I could possibly give wouldn't make much sense to her, I made a joke of it while still insisting that it be done.  Now, thankfully, I have my nice original POTS line, and a wonderful text-free cell phone.  What could be better than that?!!

DF

TelePlay

Quote from: stub on June 10, 2012, 02:20:46 AM
antiqueguy ,
                I use the touch pad, as shown on the link here-
                                                                                       http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html

They are very easy to built and work great, mine has for 5 or 6 years. I use it on the candlesticks as well as the Local battery phone that Bill helped me with.  Read all of pg. 5 here-
                                                                                                                    http://tinyurl.com/7t7845z
                                          and see what you think about it.   stub

Back to the Dialgizmo dialing problem.

Could it be that the Dialgizmo is not working because of the pulse issue discovered by lp154002 in his first post on this forum, the "tiny" url link above?

There was a lot of discussion on building a TT dial pad after that post but nothing addressing WE dial pulse issue.

Just asking because I know there are others on this forum who are much more informed about WE dials than I am and are more capable of analyzing this as the Dialgizmo problem that started this thread. Is this a compatibility issue with the Dialgizmo and WE dials?

poplar1

antiqueguy, have you tried another working rotary phone with the dialgizmo?
Has anyone else had trouble with WE dials not working with the dialgizmo? If so, would it be a possibility to rewire the shunt contacts (on the dial of a 500) so that they short out the line and not just the receiver?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

antiqueguy

Yes I have.  my model 500 from 1953 works just fine with the dial gizmo.  Also this 202 works fine with the dial gizmo as well when it isn't hooked through the cheater subset. But I only do that for brief testing so I don't damage the magnets in the phone. I have another idea.  Im thinking I might just put the dialgizmo right after the phone instead of after the subset box. Would the dialgizmo still work with the subset box closer to the line side? Would the cheater subset still filter out harmful dc?  It about my only option before I put this phone in the classified section.

As far as using a viop line, were not going to address that.  It's what we got here and it's not going to change.  Though I do agree with all of you.  I'ts not my decision to make. 

Phonesrfun

Well, I have to admit, I am stumped.  I don't have a dialgizmo and so I can't try anything out at my end on one to find out whats up.  The connection to the dialgizmo seems to be straight forward enough from the information sent earlier by someone else.

You did send along a photo of how your cheater subset is wired.  Perhaps, just before throwing in the towel, a photo of the inside of your 202 would be kind of a last grasp at the wiring.

The cheater subset is designed to be electrically the same as a sidetone circuit.  An antisidetone circuit can only be achieved with an inductor type subset.  Anything a phone is connected to should not care or even be able to tell the difference between a sidetone or an antisidetone circuit.

So, send a photo of the wiring inside the phone (D1) body.  If we can't solve it that way, I can send you a 101A induction coil and a 195A capacitor for inside the subset box, and you can see if that makes it work.  Those parts are the key ingredients to a 684 subset and a 302 phone.  Would the inside of your box hold an entire 302 base which includes the ringer?  The base measures 7-3/8 x 4-7/8 inches and a couple inches in height.

-Bill

-Bill G

antiqueguy

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 19, 2012, 02:14:03 AM
Well, I have to admit, I am stumped.  I don't have a dialgizmo and so I can't try anything out at my end on one to find out whats up.  The connection to the dialgizmo seems to be straight forward enough from the information sent earlier by someone else.

You did send along a photo of how your cheater subset is wired.  Perhaps, just before throwing in the towel, a photo of the inside of your 202 would be kind of a last grasp at the wiring.

The cheater subset is designed to be electrically the same as a sidetone circuit.  An antisidetone circuit can only be achieved with an inductor type subset.  Anything a phone is connected to should not care or even be able to tell the difference between a sidetone or an antisidetone circuit.

So, send a photo of the wiring inside the phone (D1) body.  If we can't solve it that way, I can send you a 101A induction coil and a 195A capacitor for inside the subset box, and you can see if that makes it work.  Those parts are the key ingredients to a 684 subset and a 302 phone.  Would the inside of your box hold an entire 302 base which includes the ringer?  The base measures 7-3/8 x 4-7/8 inches and a couple inches in height.

-Bill

The picture of the phone wiring is here:
http://hullofsorrow.deviantart.com/#/d547myo
The picture for the subset wiring is here:
http://hullofsorrow.deviantart.com/#/d5313e2
My box is to small for a 302 base.

Im gonna try my idea in a few minutes and hopefully have my answer in about an hour.

Phonesrfun

Inside the phone, the red wire going to the subset should not be tied to the receiver white wire on the W terminal of the dial.  It should go go R on the dial along with the other red handset wire.  Try that and see if it works for you with the capacitor in the subset not shorted out.

-Bill G

antiqueguy

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 19, 2012, 05:44:31 PM

Inside the phone, the red wire going to the subset should not be tied to the receiver white wire on the W terminal of the dial.  It should go go R on the dial along with the other red handset wire.  Try that and see if it works for you with the capacitor in the subset not shorted out.

I just tried this.  The same thing is happening.  The phone only dials #1 through the dialgizmo.  I can dial #1 repeatedly but only #1. Also I am not hearing the pulses when the capacitor is in the circuit.   I tried my idea but I got no dial tone at all as the dialgizmo only has the red and green wires. One more thing I have 2 r terminals.  The one the wires are hooked to in the picture and the one that looks like a block of some sort.

More information.  I can use the #1 different amounts of time to get different tones.  Like as if I was doing the wheels job.  Phone acts the same on either r terminal.  What did you mean by the capacitor not shorted out?  I haven't changed the wiring in the subset.

Phonesrfun

One more thing.  I just sent you a PM, but please check this out:

Inside the phone.  There are two black jumper wires.  The one that goes to W on the hookswitch should go to BB on the dial, and the one that goes to BK on the hookswitch should go to Y on the dial.  I think they may be reversed on your phone.

-Bill G

antiqueguy

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 19, 2012, 07:42:08 PM
One more thing.  I just sent you a PM, but please check this out:

Inside the phone.  There are two black jumper wires.  The one that goes to W on the hookswitch should go to BB on the dial, and the one that goes to BK on the hookswitch should go to Y on the dial.  I think they may be reversed on your phone.

Your my hero bill.  Switching those black jumper fixed the problem.  Thanks for all the help.  And thanks to everyone else who spent time helping me with this.

Phonesrfun

Never fails.  It seems like it's always something that was staring us in the face all along.  Glad its working!

-Bill G