"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric 3 slot pay phone not working

Started by cat341, July 04, 2012, 11:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat341

Hello all,
First post here on the Forum.  I recently purchased an American Electric 3 slot pay phone based on some of the stampings on the inside and back i'm going to guess 60's, it was working when I got it, all I had to do was plug it in and it worked fine. It dialed, rang called out and rec'd calls perfect for about 6 months.  I noticed it didn't ring the other day when my other house phone was ringing.  I checked the reciever and noticed no dial tone.  I tried the jack and the jack works ok when i plug my fax machine into it.  I have very little knowledge of the inner workings and don't want to start fooling around with anything without asking someone here first.  So here I am.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If any additional information is needed on the phone I will figure out how to post a photo if that helps.

Thanks
Jerry

poplar1

Since both the ringing and the dial tone stopped, it sounds like it may be a problem with the cord going from the phone to the wall, or a loose connection where that cord hooks up.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cat341

Quote from: poplar1 on July 04, 2012, 12:05:13 PM
Since both the ringing and the dial tone stopped, it sounds like it may be a problem with the cord going from the phone to the wall, or a loose connection where that cord hooks up.

That was it, one of the connections from the wall to the jack was lose.    Thanks!