"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Im a retrocomputer collector and I hit the Jackpot, Got 55 Serial Terms

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, July 11, 2020, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

I collect retrocomputers
Ash was browsing Facebook marketplace and stumbled acrossed some Wyse Serial terminals,  I thought okay Ill get 3 of them to hang off various PBXes and stuff around here. 

Well the seller said nope you gotta buy em all otherwise they are being scrapped,  Im like well I should do my part and rescue them from the landfill.   2 trips later in my F150,  I have 55 Terminals in my shop. 

So if anyone wants a serial terminal for a PBX or for other fun hacking purposes please let me know, 

I know i dont need 55 of the darn things. 

twocvbloke

Nice save there, terminals are often overlooked in retro computing, mostly due to them needing a mainframe or the like to work from, as without, they're pretty much "dumb" with little onboard software aside from a ROM to remind it how to boot & for some settings... :)

Of course, there are ways to get these online to the modern internet, of sorts, using a "WiFi232" adaptor gadget connected to the serial port, you can access BBS pages on these terminals, as there are plenty of them still going even today, this vid from LGR shows him demonstrating that with a DEC VT320 terminal and said WiFi232 device... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZUPpmXfT0

Edit to add his video on the WiFi232:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsS0E4G310Y

FABphones

Ours from the office went into the recycle junk pile at the dump long ago, there were plenty of others there to keep it company. Got it's replacement in the attic someplace waiting to join it.  ::)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Depending on what is in the attic, someone may want it, even if they're a bit of a hoarder like me...  ;D

(Bought a little industrial panel-mount touch-screen PC last week, cute little thing, very little actual use for it though, I just like odd things like that!!!)

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 11, 2020, 10:28:31 AM
Nice save there, terminals are often overlooked in retro computing, mostly due to them needing a mainframe or the like to work from, as without, they're pretty much "dumb" with little onboard software aside from a ROM to remind it how to boot & for some settings... :)

Of course, there are ways to get these online to the modern internet, of sorts, using a "WiFi232" adaptor gadget connected to the serial port, you can access BBS pages on these terminals, as there are plenty of them still going even today, this vid from LGR shows him demonstrating that with a DEC VT320 terminal and said WiFi232 device... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZUPpmXfT0

Edit to add his video on the WiFi232:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsS0E4G310Y

I just hang mine off a Raspberry Pi Zero,  I also got one attached to my main desktop as my IRC terminal and general use term.   Keeps IRC and the other stuff off my main screens so its not a distraction. 

I have a love for old tech,  the weirder the more obscure.    I run SIMH to emulate a PDP 11/73 on a raspberry pi connected to a VT220 terminal which is all kinds of fun. 

I have the following machines in my collection

Apple IIGS ROM 03
TransWarp 7mhz Accelerator
Compact Flash Adapter 3000
Uthernet II card
4MB RAM expansion Card
Stereo Sound Card with matching apple bose speakers

Another ROM 3 IIGS with MicroDrive Turbo
Eventually this will host a BBS

Commodore 64 with JiffyDOS and Ethernet

TRS-80 CoCo 2 with CocoSDC
TI-99/4A with The FinalGROM Cartridge

Mac SE 4MB RAM with SCSI2SD.  Had this one since new. 

PowerMac G4 MDD-  I use it to import old VHS tapes

Ash has a pair of eMac G4s she uses for her retrogames

And I have an iMac G3 ive had since new. 

twocvbloke

My computers are;

two Amiga 600s (one in bits for spares, as it has some motherboard damage due to capacitor juice corrosion),
a Compaq Contura 4/25 (not working owing to replacing its' original motherboard with one for a 4/25c, which won't work with the monochrome LCD),
a Compaq LTE5300, running Windows98SE with Xircom modem-ethernet PCMCIA combo card,
Olivetti Pentium75 desktop, modified with a Maxtor PCI IDE controller & fitted with a 20GB Seagate "rubber wrapper" HDD, also 98SE,
Toshiba Libretto 50ct, forget its' specs, but has a CF-IDE adaptor for some speedy boot up times into Windows 95 OSR2,

And various laptops from the past 20 years, along with a couple modern(ish) desktop PCs for other uses... ;D

Presently in the midst of fixing a Sony Trinitron 21" CRT television for use with the Amiga and other things like my Playstation 1 & 2 got the RGB input (the joys of SCART!!), though would also like an 80s-era 14" Trinitron for the Amiga for a nicer desktop computer feel... :)

EDIT:
Oh, and 4x Raspberry Pi computers, an original Model B, one of the first UK-made batch made by Sony in Wales, a Pi 3, a Zero and a Zero-W (last one to be used for a Pi-Hole adblocker, if I ever get around to re-jigging my network to accommodate it)... ;D

FABphones

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 11, 2020, 11:00:18 AM
Depending on what is in the attic, someone may want it, even if they're a bit of a hoarder like me...  ;D

Honestly, I would give all of it away for free (the keyboard is QWERTY so unlikely anyone will want all/any of it). Def got a CRT up there. All working, just not wanted.

All sorts of misc stuff here. Found some Footprint screwdrivers mixed in with goodness knows what last week (in the BT case now  ;D ). And literally fell over three BT metal flight cases in the garage a few weeks back, took a look inside, rigged out for PCB's and full of them. I keep forgetting to ask what they are from. They will shortly be in my workshop  ;)  ...

But I digress, apol to o.p....

ETA: just seen your last post, also have loads of PS1 games if you want them foc. Don't know when we will be back in the UK to post but happy to put them to one side for you until then.  The Trinitron we had but that flew into the déchèterie bin....  :-[

rdelius

Have several Apple II computers in storage along with disk drives plus some apple clones.Also some cards for them

twocvbloke

Quote from: FABphones on July 11, 2020, 12:53:34 PM
Honestly, I would give all of it away for free (the keyboard is QWERTY so unlikely anyone will want all/any of it). Def got a CRT up there. All working, just not wanted.

Anything CRT goes for mad money these days, my aforementioned Sony CRT adventures have had me astounded as to what people will pay for a working CRT on ebay, even ones so battered that they're only good for spares, I've seen some go upwards for £200 in some cases (particularly if they're RGB-compatible monitors for Commodore, Amiga, BBC Micro/Acorn, etc.), only issue is postage, as couriers aren't exactly careful, my 21" Sony needed its plastics repairing as the couriers dropped it, dislodging the CRT and breaking plastics in one corner, despite it being well-packed in the very large box, so "Collection only" ends to be the only option, which is hard given the lockdown restrictions... :-\

Would be interesting to see what you have though, vintage computers of all kinds are interesting given they're what got me interested in computer repair in the early 2000s (modern computers are boring for repairs!!)... ;D

twocvbloke

Quote from: FABphones on July 11, 2020, 12:53:34 PMETA: just seen your last post, also have loads of PS1 games if you want them foc. Don't know when we will be back in the UK to post but happy to put them to one side for you until then.  The Trinitron we had but that flew into the déchèterie bin....  :-[

I'd certainly be interested if you're wanting to clear space, I'd since lost all my games in various house moves, so I just have a console only (need to find a working controller too, but not in any rush at the moment to find one!)... :D

FABphones

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 11, 2020, 01:01:18 PM
Anything CRT goes for mad money these days, my aforementioned Sony CRT adventures have had me astounded as to what people will pay for a working CRT on ebay, even ones so battered that they're only good for spares, I've seen some go upwards for £200 in some cases...

Whaaaat? Really?  :o

Man, I am wayyyy out of touch over here.
Mine is pretty good, just unloved, unwanted and abandoned in the attic.

————-

*I will pop the games to one side in a box for you, anything else I find PS related is yours.

twocvbloke

Quote from: FABphones on July 11, 2020, 01:06:54 PM
Whaaaat? Really?  :o

Yep, insanity & popularity in retro gaming has pushed up the prices, I've been wanting to get an era-correct RGB monitor for my Amiga (one of the Philips-type monitors also used on Acorns), but every time I'm priced out of the bidding, I only got lucky with my Sony as it was dead (shorted out MOSFET, which I still need to fit as the replacement arrived yesterday) and nobody was bidding, so I got it at £4.99(!!!), plus the £30-something postage which still damaged it, but Trinitron screens, my goodness they are valuable now when working, whether a TV, monitor, PVM or BVM (Professional & Broadcast Video Monitors), they're pretty expensive...

twocvbloke

Quote from: FABphones on July 11, 2020, 01:06:54 PM*I will pop the games to one side in a box for you, anything else I find PS related is yours.

Very much appreciated, still loving the phone you sent over too, it lives proudly on my desk by my Olivetti PC...  :D

Argee

Any good keyboards in those bins?   I'm sure you know how in demand IBM model Ms, are these days.

twocvbloke

If they're all for the terminals, it's unlikely there'll be any Model M keyboards in there as terminals tended to have non-standard keyboards set up for their own functions...