"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Answering machine

Started by Sigmaz, April 26, 2018, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Just Beautiful..
Thank you for taking the time to photo the internals..
They both look great, But the 1BA would look better on my shelf.

:P

Key2871

Ferric oxide in bedded in rubber is a great way to record and have little maintenance. No tapes to replace, but wonder why they didn't use wire, like data recorders do on air planes.
I saw a show back in the 80's called secret life of machines. Still watchable on you tube. Very interesting how they used rust on sticky tape in a tape recorder, and it worked rather well.very cool to see those, and learn about how they still work. Back in the day when quality was important.
KEN

19and41

The stainless wire probably wouldn't have stood up to the repetitive nature of recording and erasure.  I have a wire recorder.  One little hitch or tug and it breaks, becoming an instant rats' nest.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sigmaz

Quote from: 19and41 on April 27, 2018, 02:55:21 PM
The stainless wire probably wouldn't have stood up to the repetitive nature of recording and erasure.  I have a wire recorder.  One little hitch or tug and it breaks, becoming an instant rats' nest.

Oh yes.. I know that very well, I got very good at tying the special knot.
I had a Webster Chicago 288-1 and a 181..  I should have never let them go..

19and41

I inherited my mothers' model 80.  I need to do the filter caps in it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sigmaz

Quote from: 19and41 on April 27, 2018, 03:44:40 PM
I inherited my mothers' model 80.  I need to do the filter caps in it.
If you ever get into it, Be prepared to be amazed. The entire chassis is copper plated.. so cool.

HarrySmith

Very Cool! Love the old technology! I recall reading somehwere a while ago that a president, maybe Reagan, was getting ready to make his presidental library recording, all presidents have a recording stored in DC, and was researching the best way. He settled on a wire recorder stating it had the best sound reproduction and would last forever.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

I've always wanted one of these. Thanks for sharing.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI