"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Telephone Co. Candlestick Phone

Started by mienaichizu, July 15, 2013, 09:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Russ Kirk on July 16, 2013, 05:54:47 PM
While I'm not an expert,  the base in the original photo looks like it has a stepped ridge. I have been burned too many times,  so when I see a questionable phone, I pass until I can get more info.  So if the experts here are unsure on its originality I would also pass. 

Oh, BTW,  I like the red walls.  Here's my kitchen in a wine red.

I like the granate, that color is better in your kitchen than in the pic of the phone.

LarryInMichigan

Here is a page with some information about spotting fake GPO candlesticks: http://britishtelephones.com/identify/candle1.htm.

Larry

G-Man

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 16, 2013, 08:40:36 PM
Here is a page with some information about spotting fake GPO candlesticks: http://britishtelephones.com/identify/candle1.htm.

Larry

I've already seen that website and while it does an excellent job of pointing out what to look for, I'm not arrogant enough to feel that it made me an authority on early British telephones.
In this instance I will leave it up to the real experts to determine whether it is a reproduction or not.

If one were to assume that it is real, I suspect that the original receiver has been replaced and that the dial is actually a British or Siemens' version of an A.E. dial. Also it would be possible that the transmitter was reused from an older instrument that predated dial service.

All of this is in the realm of possibility since Bell Telephone London/Orient Bell exported huge numbers of telephones and equipment to the Far East at the turn of the last century. As with refurbishers in this country, I suspect the operating companies were not too picky when it came to mixing and matching parts when rebuilding instruments.

But at this point it is purely speculation on my part as it is with others that have expressed their opinions so far.

rdelius

No doubt made in India fake. This one looks better than most. The dial is an Indian made ITI copy of the British type 24 dial pulled out of a bakelite set.Indian reproductions of telephones and other metal objects are somewhat crude and uasually have makers trademarks and or dates to fool people uasually British firms
and or London.Most of the telephones are marked Seimons Brothers or General Electric Company (GEC)

G-Man

Interesting that there is no doubt that it is a fake and can even pinpoint the country of origin based upon the crummy photos but of course I have to admit that I am not an expert.

mienaichizu

hi all,

thanks to your valuable inputs

i tried to ask the seller if he/she can provide other pics of the phone in question but as of now, there is no feedback from the seller