News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best way to pack phones for shipping.

Started by contraste, March 01, 2009, 01:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellen

At length, eh?  Like a month and a half of length?  Where you been, buddy?

Dan/Panther

LN;
I didn't notice the date.
I am very proud to be your Buddy....
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Thanks Sarge!  Good packaging techniques there.
I like the pictures of Pauls' broken phones too.  Sad but true. :'(

foots

I recommend wrapping phones/parts with cheap disposable diapers. I have shipped some delicate items in the past using this as wrapping material then stuffing the rest of the space in the box with wads of old newspapers or those fabulous packing peanuts.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Balls of tightly waded newspaper can work okay to fill any extra space in the box, but they have to be tightly waded.  Peanuts are best, but messy.  Disposable diapers is something I hadn't thought of, but hey, if it works... 8)

bingster

I'm surprised at the preference for peanuts.  I find that most items (especially heavy items) packed in peanuts have settled to the bottom of the box by the time they arrive.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on May 17, 2009, 01:55:41 PM
I'm surprised at the preference for peanuts.  I find that most items (especially heavy items) packed in peanuts have settled to the bottom of the box by the time they arrive.

I agree. I tend to use bubble wrap. But, peanuts are a great filler when needed. I tend to pack peanuts heavily into the box. Makes for closing a sealing a little tough, but it tends to avoid the settlement issue.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I use bubble wrap, newspaper and peanuts all at the same time.  Once I have packed wadded up newspaper around the object to secure it...a nest so to speak, I then fill around and on top of the item with peanuts.  I do create a base first using either newspaper or the heavy bubble wrap.  I put enough peanuts in that they're very tight.  Nothing shakes.  Generally it works pretty good.  The peanuts are lighter and cuts down on the weight if shipping by the pound.

But I cannot explain why a handset I just sent to "foots" arrived broken.  That's the first item I've shipped that was damaged along the way.  I've shipped a lot of stuff.  He said the box was undamaged so it must have happened internally.  I hate when that happens.

foots

Dennis, I told you already, its magic. The Post Office uses some form of magic to break very well wrapped stuff without any damage to the box its in. I should know, my oldest brother is the Post Master in the next town east of here.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Yes, it must be some top secret big evil smoking black device that the post office keeps in a creepy back room, like a microwave type doohicky that excites the molecules to certain frequencies causing them to snap, while the box remains pristine.  They do this enough times and customers start blaming their own careful packaging instead of the Post Office for rough handling.  Yeah...that's it... :P

McHeath

QuoteDennis, I told you already, its magic. The Post Office uses some form of magic to break very well wrapped stuff without any damage to the box its in. I should know, my oldest brother is the Post Master in the next town east of here.

Back in the mid 90's our local post office was out of control on damaging stuff.  We even got a couple of things delivered with car tracks over them!  They were wrapped in a plastic baggie and had a sorry note from Uncle Sam saying the item was damaged in shipment.  Amazing.  And mangled, shredded, and smashed letters and boxes was the norm for a few years.  It was like they hired that ape from the American Tourister commercials when he needed a new job or something. 

That's weird that something mailed by Dennis was damaged, I've gotten a care package of phone parts from him and they were packed expertly. 

Dennis Markham

Thanks Heath.  I guess it happens to the best of us. 

I have had really nothing but good experiences with the Postal Service.  Maybe I am lucky here where I live.  The only time I've had trouble was with poor packing, not as a result of their negligence.  I think overall it's a great buy for the money.  I mean if someone handed me a box and said here, here's $20, take this to California...and make sure it gets there in 2 - 3 days.  I have noticed that boxes going to certain parts of the Country from here (Detroit) travel faster than those going to other parts.  I put a box in the drop box on a Saturday evening once and the guy in Atlanta, GA got it in his mail on Monday.  That's pretty good service.

McHeath

Oh no disagreement on me that the Post Office is one of the bright spots of shipping stuff.  That's why it was so odd when for a few years our stuff was just being bashed about, even the local paper did an article or two about it, things got that bad.  Not anymore, it's back to usual and no problems are the norm.  And it is cheap to ship.  Though I still marvel at that fellow sending me that English style 706 from Israel to California for 5 bucks using the Israeli post office. 

HobieSport

The postman is my friend, delivering phones right to my door like Santa Clause, only year round.  I've never had problems with damage.