News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I hope it retains it's title as one of a kind.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on August 07, 2016, 12:54:45 AM
I hope it retains it's title as one of a kind.

. . .  while that specific creation is a one of a kind, as a group it is at least four of a kind, unfortunately  . . . and never any more, we hope.

A quick run through this topic's pages for D1/E1 creations show these two from page 40 of this topic

and these two from page 16

and the D1/E1 distant cousins from pages 24 and 39

. . . sad, very sad indeed, Number One.

19and41

It seems such a waste when you consider that one could make a lamp on a small pedestal where a phone could be placed as a display, even in a working state.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

That Ivory type 34 makes me feel sick...

I once saw someone trying to sell a 'refurbished' type 34 that was PAINTED WHITE! They thought they would increase the value by painting it instead of keeping it that 'boring ol' black'! >:(
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

SUnset2

Here's and Automatic Electric step base candlestick from a local estate sale.  I bought the other of the matching pair, but it hadn't been painted white yet, though it had a hold drilled through the transmitter to mount the socket, and some of the wiring replaced with lamp cord.  I should be able to turn it back into a phone.  If these hadn't been converted into lamps, they probably would have ended up as scrap metal.

TelePlay

What a waste! Someone drilled a solid ivory F1 handset, to make a lamp. What were they thinking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222173765406

Gutted D1 with a drilled handset . . .  :(

Doug Rose

Every Phone room needs a lamp!! Or two....just saying!....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

It would not surprise me that the WE sets were Jr Achevement projects.Bell got rid of old sets and they were not useable as telephones anymore

WEBellSystemChristian

Nothing like a collectible phone in otherwise great shape with a hole drilled through the most valuable part...

I remember back in 7th grade, my friend and I were going through boxes of parts in a classroom after school while we waited to be picked up. Our grade was participating in "Take Apart Art" projects, where groups of kids would take apart one donated appliance (computers, TVs, radios, clocks, etc) and use the parts to make a piece of artwork. The point of the project was learning how thinks worked, as well as being creative.

The boxes we were looking through were the remains of donated appliances after 7th graders went through them, before they were turned into art projects. I reached into one box, and pulled out a solid-center fingerwheel. This was 2 years before I became interested in the hobby, so I didn't rifle through the rest of the boxes to find the rest of the phone, but the possibilities of what it could have been were endless. I suspect it was probably a late-model ITT, but it could have even been an early Princess, Kellogg Mushroom, or even a rare phone that fingerwheel didn't belong on.

I guess we'll never know...  ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Another example to remind us that telephones are not the only suffers of abuse.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on October 27, 2016, 07:59:48 PM
It would not surprise me that the WE sets were Jr Achevement projects.Bell got rid of old sets and they were not useable as telephones anymore

The "Telephone Pioneers" were responsible for most of the Imperial Lamps. JA did make some (thru the Telephone Pioneers).
The compleated lamps were sold as fund raisers. Many working telephone folks supported the "Telephone Pioneers" fundraisers.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

This is a new look for a lamp phone, at least new to my eyes, and it's not really hideous as most lamp phones go.

This steam punk metal pipe creation is actually appealing, at least to me, and I don't think the phone was harmed in any way. IIRC, there is a pipe fitting on these phones which if so, was used to attach the appropriately scuffed black pipe.

While not hideous, I think but I may be wrong, it is posted here for posterity. It is a bit pricey, though . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-Black-Iron-Pipe-Table-Lamp-Vintage-Steampunk-Military-telephone-Light-/222313923243

19and41

The TA-312/PT has no pipe fitting, nor any openings in the case on that side.  Hate to see one go like that.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Thanks, don't know those phones very well.

I was thinking of those ship phones that do have a pipe fitting. Yes, if the fitting was created, then it is indeed, a hideous lamp phone.

Thanks for the info.

TelePlay

This lamp phone initially listed on November 11 of 2016 at $38 plus $35 shipping was relisted at $26 plus $35 shipping (from Kansas to Wisconsin, a very short distance) and finally sold December 5th when the seller reduced the shipping to $12. An interesting lamp phone, unfortunately, a phone destroyed to make a lamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TELEPHONE-BAKELITE-TURNED-INTO-A-PHONE-LAMP-/112227580893