News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Low Audio Level Using DialGizmo.

Started by 19and41, July 17, 2015, 02:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I got a dialgizmo to use with my rotary phones, and it has done pretty well with the exception of the second tier function.  It only converts numerical dialing to tone.  The problem is that the audio level received by the other party is low enough to disturb conversation.  I am using these with an OOMA VOIP terminal over wireless internet.  The OOMA terminal is adapter powered.  Any ideas?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

unbeldi

Quote from: 19and41 on July 17, 2015, 02:13:59 PM
I got a dialgizmo to use with my rotary phones, and it has done pretty well with the exception of the second tier function.  It only converts numerical dialing to tone.  The problem is that the audio level received by the other party is low enough to disturb conversation.  I am using these with an OOMA VOIP terminal over wireless internet.  The OOMA terminal is adapter powered.  Any ideas?

What are 'second tier' functions?
What does it mean that the OOMA terminal is 'adapter' powered? Why does it matter how it's powered?

Are you saying that the speech level with the dial gizmo in place is significantly lower than without?

The speech level on transmission is solely determined by the loop current assuming a properly functioning transmitter and telephone set. The kind of Internet access is immaterial. What kind of telephone set are you using?  Do you see variance of results with different sets?

If you find significant difference in audio with and without the converter, it would indicate that the ATA loop current is too low to power both a telephone and the converter.  Some ATAs have configuration options to boost loop current, see if that is an option.

I would measure the loop current with a multimeter. It should be at least 20 mA for reliable operation, but I would prefer twice that for old phones, as the transmitters are well beyond their expected lifetime.

19and41

Using the DialGizmo, each position on the dial has two functions.  in ordinary use each position initiates a corresponding DTMF tone.  The second tier functions are for pound and star tones and memory dial.  I mentioned the adapter as from what I have read on either of these devices here, I just wanted to make sure whoever read the post had that information.   I am using these devices with two models of rotary Trimline phones and an AE40 phone .  The people I call with any of them complain that they have difficulty hearing me.  I can hear them well.  I'll have to make a breakout board to measure the ATA loop current.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Finally got enough time to make a breakout.  The loop current is 21.07 Ma. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

timmerk

Ever figure this out? I'm debating about buying one, but if this is a common issue, I might not.

19and41

I am using my Dialgizmo with OOMA VOIP service.  I believe the problem lies with the OOMA system, as when I use an older touch tone phone with just the OOMA device without the Dialgizmo, the audio level heard at the distant end is about 75% of the level of my wireless DECT6.0 phone.  The sidetone seems normal.  The only remaining issue with the Dialgizmo are the secondary functions of the memory dial and # and * .  I have never gotten them to work.  the digits 1 through 0 work fine.
— Arthur C. Clarke

SteveK

Interesting read. I am using Ooma as well and am waiting on my dialgizmo to arrive. I  Should have ordered the one available in the US. Was half the price. What I have read says the newer dialgizmo s have the issue worked out with # *

Will post when I receive

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

SteveK

Mailing issue with the dialgizmo. Good thing I ordered from all dav one week ago. Came to Canada within four business days...wow! Total cost with shipping 34.00 USD . Thing works great and no issues with sound quality....however had to use the reverse polarity that it comes with. For some reason that prevents my other phone that is not pulse to be unable to dial out. Rings and can talk just can't dial out. Note when hooking up reverse polarity...it is ooma out to reverse polarity (if required) than into phone line. Than other phone line has adapter with phone plugged into it. I am guessing it can only do one phone. Anyways dialgizmo is on its way and will post.

HarrySmith

You could try a polarity protector on the phone that won't dial, or maybe just reverse the line connections?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kb3pxr

Open up the phone, put a current meter in series with either L1 or L2 and tell me the reading. I'm suspecting low loop current (less than 23ma). You can get a loop current booster on sandman.com, put that in the line BEFORE the dialgizmo, you may also be able to enable secondary functions.

markosjal

Quote from: kb3pxr on June 11, 2017, 12:40:11 PM
Open up the phone, put a current meter in series with either L1 or L2 and tell me the reading. I'm suspecting low loop current (less than 23ma). You can get a loop current booster on sandman.com, put that in the line BEFORE the dialgizmo, you may also be able to enable secondary functions.

I agree with the loop current theory. I have a ZTE wf720 it has 20ma loop current according to my butt set . Very problematic for some devices.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish