"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting an old 1305AC to landline issues

Started by PilotAndy1994, January 16, 2021, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PilotAndy1994

Hey guys,

I've got an old 1305 that I wish to connect to the POTS. I connected L1 and L2 to their correct (marked) locations, and a dial tone is heard when going off hook. However, when I put the receiver back on the hook, the telephone line remains open. The old battery ringer is still hooked up in the mix, but probing around with my multimeter, I discovered that continuity is (sort of) broken in the receiver, but not in the actual L1 L2 circuit. I was wondering if anyone knows any tips or tricks to setting these up correctly. I could rewire everything, but I'm hoping there's something simple I can just do to make it work.

I appreciate any assistance!

Andy

Key2871

The capacitor is probably holding the line. So try disconnecting that.
I'm sure someone with more experience than I will set you up. It's been for ever since I've worked on those.
KEN

poplar1

The capacitor is likely connected in series with the receiver so that if one party left the phone off the hook, others could still signal the operator or the other parties on the line.

You would need the capacitor in series with the ringer. Otherwise, the ringer will probably busy out the line even when it is hung up.

Also, you will need a 3 volt battery (or filtered DC source) to power the transmitter. And maybe you will want to disconnect the generator if you think someone might turn the crank while it is connected to your land line or modem, sending 90 Volts AC toward the dial tone source.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

PilotAndy1994

I just looked at eBay's highest winning auction under Vintage phones and saw that 1932 wall phone that taught me that western electric prototypes generally had a "D" infront of their numbers....My telephone here has a D-29892 on the back...Could this be a prototype?

PilotAndy1994

Quote from: poplar1 on January 16, 2021, 09:36:35 PM
The capacitor is likely connected in series with the receiver so that if one party left the phone off the hook, others could still signal the operator or the other parties on the line.

You would need the capacitor in series with the ringer. Otherwise, the ringer will probably busy out the line even when it is hung up.

Also, you will need a 3 volt battery (or filtered DC source) to power the transmitter. And maybe you will want to disconnect the generator if you think someone might turn the crank while it is connected to your land line or modem, sending 90 Volts AC toward the dial tone source.

Thank you both for the information! I will try this tomorrow!

PilotAndy1994

Well that information worked out swell. I was able to hook the cap in series with the ringer, as well as get the receiver hooked up properly through the inductor and I even hooked two 1.5v C cells together connected to the two terminal studs that went to the hookswitch to power the transmitter. getting 20 ma of current when it's off hook. I was surprised this model had a sidetone circuit - must have been messed with sometime after it's creation.??

Working beautifully and sounds crystal clear.

Thanks for the info guys!

dsk