"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Western Electric 2AA Dial into a Western Electric 20AL Candlestick

Started by gands-antiques, December 06, 2013, 08:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I am looking for some direction on how to wire a (4) terminal WE 2AA dial into a (5) wire WE 20AL candlestick........

The 20AL has (5) wires....BK-BR-R-Y-W

The 2AA dial has has (4) terminals....BK-BB-Y-W

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Quote from: gands-antiques on December 06, 2013, 08:55:05 PM
Hello,

I am looking for some direction on how to wire a (4) terminal WE 2AA dial into a (5) wire WE 20AL candlestick........

The 20AL has (5) wires....BK-BR-R-Y-W

The 2AA dial has has (4) terminals....BK-BB-Y-W

Thanks,
Gary

Not sure what kind of candlestick you have since 20AL is non-dial. However, only 4 dial terminals are used on a 50AL, 51AL or 151AL. If you are using a 4H, 5H or 6A dial *instead of* a 2A, then the four wires are connected the same as with a 2A, then BB and R are strapped together.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Thanks..

When you say R and BB are strapped does that mean the R & BB wires are both connected to one terminal? If so, which terminal does the R & BB wires go to?

Thanks

poplar1

I mean that there is a metal piece (or you can use a piece of wire) between the BB and R *terminals* on the dial. This makes the contact spring pileup of a 4H, 5H or 6A equivalent to that of a 2A.

Can you provide more information as to what phone you actually have? Is there another number on the perch besides 20AL? How many wires in the harness? 3 contacts or 4 in the switch hook?

gands-antiques

Thanks Greg..

I'm not clear...I don't have a "R" terminal on my 2AA dial to bridge.

I'm still not clear where to connect the (5) wires on the 20AL candlestick.....BK  BB .R  Y & W
to the (4) terminals on the 2AA dial...BK   BB   Y    W 
========================

I just found several 20AL eBay listings that had dials.  I also found the below explanation about converting 20AL non-dial to dial candlesticks....

This 20AL candlestick phone is a 1915 Western Electric model ( 20 AL ) , that was converted to a dial ringer after 1927.  That is the year when Western Electric, came out with the A1 type hand set , dial ringer. When the new hand set phone became popular in 1928 , Western Electric experienced a supply shortage , and could not keep up with demand.  Also some lets say old school folks , especially in rural America, did not want to give up their candlestick desk sets. There was a distinct advantage in its simplicity. It had very few parts and generally was trouble free. The new handset had 326 separate parts.  Western Electric developed a simple conversion separate dial ringer , that could easily be installed on the 1915 ( 20 AL ) , by the telephone repair man ,making a house call.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Gary, you're right there is no R terminal on a 2A dial.

If you are using a 4H, 5H or 6A dial--all of which have an R terminal-- then in order to make it act like a 2A, you still don't connect any WIRE to R, but you  do connect a STRAP between R and BB.

Maybe you can furnish some pictures. The switch hook probably has either 3 contacts that make together (sidetone), or 2 sets of 2 contacts.

Depending on which kind of switch hook you have will determine the rest of the wiring. But in any case, the dial will have only 4 terminals with WIRES connected to them:

yellow to Y (yellow cord from subset or yellow from switch hook, depending on which model)
black (or 2 blacks) to BK
double blue to BB
white receiver to W

gands-antiques

Thanks Greg....

So, I connect ...

candlestick BK wire to dial BK terminal
candlestick BB wire to dial BB terminal
candlestick Y wire to dial Y terminal
candlestick W wire to dial W terminal

and leave the stick R wire disconnected??

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Until you provide photos and/or answer the questions about the hookswitch contacts, I really can't help.

gands-antiques

I have the wires taped and identified because they don't seem to be color coded/identified...

The last picture shows the 20AL base with the 4H dial that was removed so the 2AA dial could be installed.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Quote from: gands-antiques on December 07, 2013, 08:54:21 AM
I have the wires taped and identified because they don't seem to be color coded/identified...

The last picture shows the 20AL base with the 4H dial that was removed so the 2AA dial could be installed.

Thanks,
Gary

Remove the red wire from W on the dial. The white dial cord wire currently on R should then be moved from R to W. Since it is so short, it will reach a lot better once you install the 2A dial.

So whichever dial you use, the dial cord will be connected to Y, BK, BB and W---no R.

The 4-conductor 395B cord ("harness") is used with a 50AL. In a 50AL, all 3 wires from the subset cord and both receiver cord wires terminate on the rack (inside the handle).

So even if you have a different (20AL? 51AL? 151AL?) rack (switch hook and terminals), you still would not connect the red wire from the subset to the dial.

gands-antiques

Thanks Dave...I'll give it a try.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Gary

gands-antiques

Quote from: gands-antiques on December 07, 2013, 11:17:12 AM
Thanks Dave...I'll give it a try.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Gary
==========================

Well, I just tried every wiring combination with the 20AL and the 2AA dial I could think of and the stick would not register anything on my tester...dial, transmit, reception, loop test, etc so I think I am going to put the 4H dial that was in it when i got it back in it.  I am believing the 20AL is not meant to have a 2AA dial in it.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

The problem is probably not the dial, assuming both dials are good. The way it is pictured is wrong since the white dial cord wire is on R and it should be on W. Also, the red wire from the subset should not connect to the dial.

Are you using a subset or attempting to connect the phone directly to the line?

gands-antiques

The picture with the 4H dial wired was how it was wired when I got it.  It isn't wired like that now. I wired it like you said but without the red wire connected I don't see how it will work.

I'm trying to connect it directly to the line (no subset).

poplar1