"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first time Painting a Phone-help wanted

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 02, 2013, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello everybody,

This is my first time painting a phone, it has to happen, and with so many black phones (which are hard to buff to make like new liked colored sets) I need to make progress with one.

So I decided on a metal body Stromburg Carson 1243. I chosed this, as if you see the before pictures its completely pitted.

I would like to know,

1:Should I paint the handset?

2: What paint do I use?

3:Is a curly cord period correct for this phone, it says something like 62 in the handset on the transmitter.

Thank you,
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Looks alright, its okay for my first time painting, on the back and the left side their was some drippage but, luckily the cord covers up the left and nobody looks at the back.

I decided to paint the handset though a few of you might cringe, I want to get that good, but the rest of the phone looks pretty good. Couldn't sand the rust and keep the "Stroburg Carelson" label. So I left some original Patina.

I did learn, PRIME before paint. Which I thought I could skip and do a couple extra coats.

I think this will be my new thing if I get good at this.

Ben

southernphoneman

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 02, 2013, 04:11:40 PM
Looks alright, its okay for my first time painting, on the back and the left side their was some drippage but, luckily the cord covers up the left and nobody looks at the back.

I decided to paint the handset though a few of you might cringe, I want to get that good, but the rest of the phone looks pretty good. Couldn't sand the rust and keep the "Stroburg Carelson" label. So I left some original Patina.

I did learn, PRIME before paint. Which I thought I could skip and do a couple extra coats.

Ben
good job ben,looks great,and a little tip, in the hard to sand places a small wire brush will remove rust also,keep up the good work.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 03, 2013, 10:42:47 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 02, 2013, 04:11:40 PM

Ben
good job ben,looks great,and a little tip, in the hard to sand places a small wire brush will remove rust also,keep up the good work.

Thank you, and thank you again, I need to get a wire brush for the handset. I'm trying to get that to look about as perfect as I can.

Ben

tipnring

This is what I have done with my old bakelite phones... clean them thouroughly  and buff it up a bit. Then I apply black shoe polish on the set. Let it sit for 15  minutes then give it a good buffing.  Once the polish dries and you rub it over time it turns out real good... tipnring in Alberta

tallguy58

I've tried the shoe polish as well. It does work effectively.
Cheers........Bill