News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found on Craigslist... maybe LPB 8255?

Started by shortrackskater, February 23, 2018, 07:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I'm not sure what this was. I bought it off Craigslist. The seller had no keys. He wanted $250 but it had been on CL for a few months. I offered $70 explaining I had no idea what was inside. Offer accepted!
Unfortunately after I got it home and opened the front, all the parts were replaced by this crap - done by "Precision Communications Services Inc, Tampa Florida." Precision? Yea they precisely moved all the good parts!
I cleaned it up, tightened all the terminals and the phone does work. It dials out fine, and the silly ringer in the HOLE where the cash box and vault door works as well. However I do get a "bip bip bip bip bip" sound corresponding to each number value I dial. There's a cap going from L1 to G on the terminal block on the right inside. Could that be the culprit?
If it had the coin box and vault door, I may have considered restoring. I think I'll clean it up and re-sell it.
Mark J.

rdelius

The set was upgraded to an LPC series set. Parts are factory AE, Not junk or otherwise.I will agree about the ringer Dont expect a coin box in any paystastion.The box got pulled for the coins and to save money, the lid might have been saved for a single slot

AL_as_needed

Would it be that difficult to move the ringer out of the void and reinstall the coin-box/vault door?
TWinbrook7

shortrackskater

I'm a little confused. Would this have had a coin box then? And, as it is now, would it work as a payphone if I was using Stan's controller?
Here's another possible issue... there's three wires just floating in the top box, from the dial.
And... any ideas on the reason why I'm getting the popping sound when dialing?
Mark J.

AE_Collector

I would say it has been modified for home use. No box, relay gone, Ringer stuffed into the vault area, fake vault door without a lock and the clever spring to hold it in place! This All says cheesy Home use conversion of what is/was a real payphone to me.

Terry

shortrackskater

Quote from: rdelius on February 23, 2018, 08:58:58 PM
The set was upgraded to an LPC series set. Parts are factory AE, Not junk or otherwise.I will agree about the ringer Dont expect a coin box in any paystastion.The box got pulled for the coins and to save money, the lid might have been saved for a single slot

Well I've got different answers here. To me it doesn't look AE. I agree it looks like a home conversion. If it ever was in use like this, there's no place for the coin to go unless they fixed the hopper to flip the coin somewhere. And there's nothing there to register a coin-in anymore, mechanical or otherwise in the top box. Sorry I didn't post that picture.
And I still have those three wires going nowhere in the top box.
Mark J.

rdelius

LPC series are the last of the AE 3 slot paystations.  They have a printed circuit network and the wireing harness uses terminal blocks.The parts were more universal for use with touch calling and they could be rewired pre pay or simi postpay  with the same wiring harness add hopper and proper relays for example. Feel lucky if you find  a coin box inside of a retiired paystation .The box and money went to a different department then the paystation that was most likely getting scrapped due to single slots.There were rebuilders such as CEAC that rebuilt sets for independant telephone companies some used AE parts others used the  aftermarket blue boards.

shortrackskater

Thanks everyone, so far! Making more sense now.
I still have two issues:

1. The dial popping sound described above.
2. The three wires

My first phone I bought, an AE with a Gray lower part actually did have the coin box, minus lid in it. And I later realized when I drilled out the screws that it was a benefit to NOT have that lid... since I was able to slide out that box.  :)
Mark J.

rdelius

I think the 3 wires connect to the coin signal transmitter.  You could tie them all togather on one of the screws on the transmitter assy less likely for noise problems.Look on line for a diagram LPC 82 series paystation

Haf

Here you have what a LPC 82-55 looks like as it left the factory (connected to Stan's controller) and a diagram. Yours should not be to hard to reconvert to original.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Quote from: shortrackskater on February 24, 2018, 12:13:31 AM
And there's nothing there to register a coin-in anymore, mechanical or otherwise in the top box. Sorry I didn't post that picture.

You can operate the payphone without that missing relay, the only diference is that it will work with 5 Cents instead of 10. Would make it an LPC 82-50 then (of course there was original no 82-50 durig the times an LPC model was build). But will work without problems and you can get yourself that relay later on.
Take a look at the PDF diagram attached to my last post and compare the wiring to your phone. As I said, your phone would be worth bringing it back to original. you can get the few missing parts on ebay quite cheap.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

shortrackskater

Thanks Haf!
I apologize for not mentioning I do have a LPB-8255 that I added and "wired back" a coin relay so I have mine to look at, although I clearly see the difference now on the LBC verses the LPB.
I can't decide what to do. I really don't have the time now to convert it. Added to that is, I discovered the black is painted over chrome! I also would like to get another chrome lower part for my LPB-8255 since it has a Gray lower portion which was chromed at some time. So with that in mind, I could just part it out for the lower portion that I need but then I'd just have to sell the upper part.
I'm thinking here...
Mark J.

Markgregory

Sorry, but when I read posts like this what comes to my mind is, "Why bother?" For all the time, effort and money you will spend to make this phone real  again, to me, it just isn't worth it. You can easily find a nice working AE with all the right parts for a pretty reasonable price. There are so many for sale out there today. Of course, you may simply like to tinker. And if this is your hobby, then I can see why you are willing to spend all the effort on this phone. 🙂 Mark

Payphone installer

Phone is a refurbish job for home use, the bell in the bottom confirms it along with the chute from a TT A/E. Its a great phone just display it and be happy. 82's are common as dirt anyway. If you want a good A/E go after a 60 series they are rarer and much more interesting. Or even better a 34 series. Plenty of great phones out there you just have to know what you are looking at.