Telephone Identification, Repair & Restoration > Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair

W.E. Dial Identification

(1/9) > >>

BOB BONCHAK:
I have a W.E. Model 202, with an E1 handset.  The dial mechanism has no identification symbols on it.  How can I determine if it is a #2, #4, #5, #6, etc?  What are the differences in the various numbered dials?  TIA
BOB

BDM:
Well, without getting technical, the #4 dial makes a loud clickity-clack sound when dialed. The #5 does also, but generally much quieter. If it's a #5 with a plastic cam, it may be almost soundless(ie no clickity-clack) when dialed. Also, remove the bottom cover. It's generally marked on the backside of the dial in red/orange ink. Others may be able to add to this.

Either or is correct. They received #5 when re-furbed. Most folks like myself, love the clickity-clack as it is ;D Otherwise, both dials are the same for the most part. No #6 dials were installed on D1 mounts to my knowledge, though that means little. I do believe #7 were used for the D1/202 Imperial sets on the mid/late 50s. That was a Ma Bell's attempt at using up parts, while trying to sell folks on style.

NOTE: Just dawned on me, a #7 wouldn't fit into a D1 mount. DUH! Just a number #6 with a plastic wheel. Man I'm getting slow at times!! ::)

Mark Stevens:

--- Quote from: BDM on October 12, 2008, 11:52:48 PM ---Well, without getting technical, the #4 dial makes a loud clickity-clack sound when dialed. The #5 does also, but generally much quieter. If it's a #5 with a plastic cam, it may be almost soundless(ie no clickity-clack) when dialed.

--- End quote ---

I think you dial experts are like a secret society, keeping the truth about dial types a closely guarded secret.  Yea, I knew I could come up with a suitable conspiracy theory to justify my ignorance!  Imagine, expecting us to identify dials based on whether it goes clickety-click, clickety-clack, or clickety klunk!!!   :D ;D ;)

BDM:
Besides the markings on the back side, that's how I tell them apart. But, it does sound funny ;D Still the best way to tell a #2 or #4 apart from the rest.

Dennis Markham:
Just so you know what the marking on the back of the dial looks like, here is a photo of a #4H dial.  This dial is from a Western Electric 302 that I am refurbishing for someone.  I have never run across a 302 with a #4 before although I know they're out there.  This particular phone also has and E1 handset but a thermoplastic housing.  One would think that a 302 with an E1 and a #4 dial would be old enough to have a metal housing---pre WWII.  Perhaps it was refurbished in the field with the plastic housing.  This dial also has a 1146T on the top which I THINK means it was tested in November of 1946.  Maybe someone else knows for sure.  If you'd like to see a photo of a #5 dial including the cam that makes the clicking sound, let me know.  I post a photo of each.  The #5H dial has a small rubber tip on the end of the cam that ratchets against the main gear.  Thus it doesn't make the sound of the #4 or earlier dials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version