News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Took a 99 Cent Gamble on a Type 21 AE Desk Set Ringer Box

Started by Doug Rose, September 28, 2021, 02:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This bounced around USPS for an extra week, but I received it today. Two little strips or styro on two sides. but it survived. Everything else right up to the thin used cardboard box

No Pics of the inside, but I gambled

Only Marking on Condenser is A.E CO Chicago. Automatic or American?? My guess is American Electric as it has another compartment.

D 56164-A under the clapper

Anyone have wiring for this? Condenser wires are cut. First Project is to remove the paint.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

A little more than an hour and I have a lot of the paint off. Black underneath seems very shiny. I have a tough time removing paint when I want to keep the original layer. So far so good.

Tomorrow will be the finesse work!....Doug
Kidphone

countryman

That looks good! It's very satisfying when the original finish can be restored from under a coat of ugly oil paint...
Some elbow grease and it will shine again!

Doug Rose

Thanks.. CM...I put citristripper on it and the paint started to move before I was finished.  So I got it off before it started on the original black

I have goo be gone on it now. The big areas will come off easily it's the little grove areas, like around the circle in the front which take the time.

Hey Stub....do you have a wiring diagram....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Automatic Electric.  I once had one of these.  Will work fine with a Western Electric phone.

Mike

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

This is actually better than the pictures as my workbench is covered with little chips and I keep wiping them back on the subset.

The vents were a joy to get the paint out/off of  :'(

The Black paint held and this looks 100% better. I will get better pics tomorrow. Now I have to follow Tubaman's directions as try to get it to work. Need to find my soldering iron as leads are broken form the condenser....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I have dial tone going to 7 and 4. The ringer going to 5 bridged to 6 and 7.

I have made a quick hack (repair) to the wires broken on the condenser.

When called it does not ring, but is not getting a busy.

Anyone have any ideas?....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Diagram shows 7 and 4 going to capacitor. If you connect dial tone to 7 and 4, you are shorting the line with the capacitor.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

poplar1

Connect line to 4 and 5. Ringer wire to 5. No strap 5 to 6 or to 7.

Doug Rose

Line connected to 4 and 5. One side of ringer to 5 where does the other side of the ringer go?
Kidphone

poplar1

Doug Rose

David....it's a no go, no ring. Cap must be bad as the wires were cut or broken....Doug
Kidphone