News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How's your desk looks like?

Started by mienaichizu, February 08, 2009, 09:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Clutter??  We don't need no stinkin clutter!

Here are a couple of pictures of my spare bedroom in the basement.

It's a friggin mess!  I moved in about a year ago, and everything was nicely boxed up with nice padding and peanuts to keep everything nice and safe.  This is the part that has made it out into the open.  There are still some items nicely packed away in closets.

See what happens when you get a collection going?

My project for this summer was going to be to get some nice shelving and organize it before things start breaking and getting scratched.  Instead, life at work got real busy, and as you can see, my room is still out of control.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, you have all kinds of neat stuff in that room!

McHeath

Wow, that'd be like Christmas, digging through those boxes!  Some cool finds indeed look to be lurking about. 

HobieSport

Well I finally got around to posting this picture of my desk. I built this desk many years ago, so it has all kinds of wear and patina. The desk is set up at the front of the long long trailer, with two nice big picture windows on either side, so it feels really spacious even though it's only eight feed wide.
-Matt

McHeath

Holy Sweetness Batman!  What a great view!  Nice set up you got there.

bwanna

pretty darn tidy there, hobie. now where's your real desk ::)

love your clocks ;D
donna

Dennis Markham

Very nice Hobie.  Do you ever see any wild life out that window?  I too enjoy the old clocks.  Do you have one set for each time zone??

HobieSport

Here's some wider shots of the trailer desk, showing the big side windows. With all the glass and views, it almost feels like sitting outside, except that it's enclosed and cozy. As you can see, the trailer is still a work in progress, but it's basically quite livable as is for a county boy like me.

Do I see wildlife? Oh yes indeed. Since I'm right on the edge of the forest and meadow, there are foxes, racoons, skunks, deer, wild turkeys, squirrels, chipmunks, ravens...you name it. The forest has had it's share of bear and cougar, though I haven't spotted them personally.

Ya know, when I tell my friends I'm moving into a trailer, they kind of get a look of pity for me. When I try to explain that it's very comfortable, they seem to think I am just kidding myself and rationalizing. But like I say, it's really just like vacation camping year round with all regular conveniences, especially in our very mild climate.

So now I'm looking for some decent tenants to occupy our main house. Just quiet folks like me basically. It's on a big sunny quiet private meadow just a half mile from town. Anyone interested? It's really a great place to live. Wonderful school system, great sense of community here, like a small old timey town, but with all modern facilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendocino,_California

The Wiki article is a bit misleading, just in that the population may be small in the actual town, but the population of the surrounding area is in the several thousands.
-Matt

McHeath

Yes it's a very nice area you live in.  I was last there about 20 years ago, when I lived in Arcata, another disarmingly cute little costal town.  I lived in a trailer once, in Texas, and it was an 8' by 32' foot job, not nearly as nice as yours.  Rainstorms were fun, the thin metal roof made for drama, and the coons and possums would fight underneath it for control of the Earth which was also pure drama. 

Hey when are we going to get some pics of the inner guts of that aqua 3500? ;)

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Hey when are we going to get some pics of the inner guts of that aqua 3500? ;)

Here you go, Heath (finally...sorry for the long delay...)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1177.new#new
-Matt

HobieSport

Quote from: bwanna
pretty darn tidy there, hobie. now where's your real desk ::)

;D Bwanna your humor is not entirely lost on me.  ;) I admit that I cleaned my desk a little bit to take the photos. The rest of the trailer is pretty cluttered, with phones and tools everywhere. Half of the time the phones are competing with the cooking operations on the kitchen area...
-Matt

foots

Wow Hobie, nice pad. Love the "observatory" you have.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Yep, those big living room picture windows really make a huge difference making the space feel big and open. There are a lot of good thoughtful design features in the Roadmaster, besides the good floorplan and nice cabinet work; such as the original windows which all still work and open for good ventilation, and upper screened vents throughout, that can be opened even in the rain. Yup, she may just be an ugly old trailer to some, but I love it. The build quality in general is pretty amazing, and not found in most newer trailers.
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie, it is a very nice trailer.  I saw a small one recently on a road that I travel.  It looks similar to yours but much shorter.  I have been tempted to stop in and look at it but it's not for sale, just sitting in someone's driveway.  I think they use it for camping which is pretty popular in these parts.

I'll bet your trailer weighs quite a bit more than those of today.  That fact probably makes it more stable in high winds??

HobieSport

The vintage trailers seem to be getting popular and bringing higher prices these days, but still a better buy than most new trailers IMHO, and with ten times the charm.

And yes, the Roadmaster is heavy! The framing is all very solid tight grain Douglass Fir, just like a frame house but with thinner walls, but very well insulated all around. And the outer sheathing is steel, not aluminum, which is good because it's much tougher and adds lots of structural integrity, but not so good because it rusts, so it won't win any beauty contests.

If you're interested in that trailer you see, even if it's not for sale, you might just ask about it anyway, as you never know. Do you know what make of trailer it is?

One of the joys of working in Calif State Parks last year (I've been laid off :'() was seeing some great old trailers that folks took a lot of pride in refurbishing, and they were often very happy to give me a little tour.
-Matt