News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Grandmothers ATC "Empress Telephone"

Started by Phonesrfun, February 17, 2014, 12:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

My grandmother had a table top version (not the stand-up model) and that was in the early 1980's.  She thought it was the most elegant thing the phone gods had ever created.  She was also a telephone operator much of her adult life.

She has long since passed away.  My mother, knowing that I collect phones, gave me my grandmother's phone.  I still have it.  It occupies a corner in the back of a shelf in my telephone room.  However, unlike my grandmother, I still think these things are ugly!  I see these and I think of all the grandmas out there that ever talked their husbands into getting them one.

Sorry grandma   :-\

-Bill G

paul-f

Now that we know you have it, you just have to post a photo!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Quote from: paul-f on February 17, 2014, 02:25:52 PM
Now that we know you have it, you just have to post a photo!

This is blasphemous, but ok.

This one is not quite as ugly as the stand-up one but made for a grandma nonetheless.  The official name of the phone is the "Empress"  Oh how elegant!  Notice that the name of the phone is "written" in a cursive style.  Since many schools have quit teaching cursive, some kids won't be able to read it ten years from now.  Maybe some already can't read it.....Another topic, I am sure.

-Bill G

paul-f

That's a very nice quality Western Electric product!

Is there a model number on it?  I don't recall seeing a BSP for that one.

You may have found another "missing link!"

WesternElectricBen

That is right, I write in cursive, but many of my friends cannot write not read cursive..

I'm really not sure why, or why not, they would teach cursive.. Though, I'l always use it!

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: paul-f on February 17, 2014, 10:39:45 PM

I believe it is another ATC or Decotel model. It was also available with G-type handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: paul-f on February 17, 2014, 10:39:45 PM

On the outside, all the numbers are in that second photo, so as Flip Wilson (Geraldine) used to say "What you see is what you get".

Inside there are only the WE components.  Network, Polarity Guard, TT dial, ringer and Hookswitch mechanism.  Plastic base. No other numbers.
-Bill G

paul-f

That's interesting.

Most DecoTel products distributed by Western Electric got a model number starting with 881 and a BSP.

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html#Chest

poplar1

Quote from: paul-f on February 18, 2014, 11:47:59 AM
That's interesting.

Most DecoTel products distributed by Western Electric got a model number starting with 881 and a BSP.

How about just "SET. TEL. EMPR. ANTQ. WH. T. T."--stamped in vermilion of course.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

We should ask the moderators to put the discussion of Bill's Empress into a different topic.

David,

That one apparently doesn't have the Western Electric sticker.  Is it possible that the components were added in a Distribution House, where the stamping was applied?

Anyone else have examples?

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 17, 2014, 06:20:31 PM

This is blasphemous, but ok.

Just listed:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/191074888618

Starting bid asked was $20, BIN for $75 plus $15 shipping.

Phonesrfun

Gee, and I thought I had a one-of-a-kind!.  Imagine that.  The one in the auction looks a little cleaner and has a longer handset cord than mine.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 18, 2014, 09:24:59 PM
Gee, and I thought I had a one-of-a-kind!.  Imagine that.

;) LOL! And if you want to add a bookend to your set, just did a quick search of eBay and found 11 touch tone and 3 dial "Empress" phones for sale, priced over a large range. But, only the one you have was owned by G'ma.

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on February 18, 2014, 02:46:07 PM
We should ask the moderators to put the discussion of Bill's Empress into a different topic.

Took awhile but.....DONE.

Terry