News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally! a WE 322 elevator Phone!

Started by Babybearjs, February 06, 2015, 11:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Well, I finally got a elevator phone. only paid $22.00 for it and is in excellent condition. I am told these phones were used in OTIS brand elevators. I noticed the production date was the 2nd quarter of 1973. The F1 handset is a late production thermoplastic handset and is lighter then its bakelite counterpart. the transmitter and receiver caps stick very bad and are almost impossible to remove. I'm changing it out for a older bakelite unit that's heavier so it will stay on the cradle. I'm also changing the receiver cord from the coiley cord to a straight cloth covered cord. the original handset it a testament to how poorly the reproduction handsets were made. the caps bind real bad and I had to use WD-40 to try to lubricate the threads and that didn't even work well... within an hour, the caps were frozen and can't be removed easily. enclosed are the pictures of the phone.
John

Phonesrfun

Now all you need is an Otis elevator as a go-with!  :)

Pretty nice phone.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Very Nice!! I almost bought that phone! I did not want to pay the $22.00 plus shipping for it though. I offered half, then got a counteroffer of $20.00 and tried again to lower it but he would not go down any further. Glad you go it! If you are not going to use the handset, I would be interested in it. PM me!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

Once again i struggle with the language, but i guess its right to say:
You have now proven to be in an elevated level of telephone collecting.  ;D

It'is a nice one, what are your plans for it? display it?
Is the coil in the upper left of picture a buzzer?

dsk

paul-f

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 06, 2015, 11:18:12 PM

...the caps bind real bad and I had to use WD-40 to try to lubricate the threads and that didn't even work well... within an hour, the caps were frozen and can't be removed easily.

John,

If the caps haven't shrunk too much, you might try spreading some rubbing compound on the threads and working the cap on and off a bunch of times to relieve some of the stress.  Then rinse and lubricate.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

In a bunch of phones received last summer/fall, I received a number of these, and the later 500 series of elevator phones... In case it may be useful here, here is a schematic of the 322...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 07, 2015, 01:32:33 AM
Now all you need is an Otis elevator as a go-with!  :)

Pretty nice phone.

Don't forget the elevator music!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

Thank you all for the comments! as for the future of this unit.... right now, just for show. I have to go through my parts boxes and find my spare F1 handset.... I can't get the caps off the original handset... frozen in place... if things change, I might reuse it... but being from 1973... I consider it new... not vintage.. though keeping all the dates correct does help.... though its light then the original bakelight handset so I prefer to use the older handset... I tried a AE handset from a #40 and it would also work, but looks funky. thank you for the schematic... the 322 is wired just like a 302, but with a buzzer instead of a bell.... wonder if it works on a regular phone line, or is low voltage... after all, if these phones were tied to a ICM system, then 10 to 24 volts would work fine for signaling.... does anyone know about this part?   
John

paul-f

Buzzer options are described in several BSPs available in the TCI Library, including 502-402-100 and C65.861.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

thanks for the links... I'll lookup the info.
John

andre_janew

The inner workings of your elevator phone seems to have a lot in common with a 302 series phone.  I'm amazed at how new it is considering they stopped making the 302 in 1954.

poplar1

I believe that's a 4E Buzzer, which operates on ringing current.

2.03 The 4E buzzer and capacitor (l mf) provide a
low impedance ringing bridge, and can be
used on individual lines and PBX stations only if
there are no additional ringing bridges on the same
line.
2.04 The 4E buzzer is used in place of a ringer to
conserve space. It cannot be biased to avoid
tapping while dialing or during switchhook operation.

Bell Canada Practice, Section 502-4020-100, Issued 80-12-31
Station Sets, Common Battery, Elevator Phones, Types 322 (MD) and 522

Later refurbed sets (at least one I've seen from c. 1976) used a 9C buzzer, which has the same G-1 ringer motor as found in 236G pay phones. It too operates on AC ringing current.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Russ Kirk

How do you plan to display it?
Are you going to build a wood box?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Russ....that is how I have mine with a plexiglass back, Looks really cool,,,Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 09, 2015, 05:54:27 PM
How do you plan to display it?
Are you going to build a wood box?
That is what I am thinking of doing with a couple of my elevator phones. I have several of both the 322  and 522 versions  just need the time, now! I wish the covers for them were more available, but in most cases, I imagine they stayed with the elevator :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001