News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do you like about The Classic Rotary Phone Forum?

Started by Phonesrfun, October 04, 2009, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

What on earth is a johnny cake?
How about we butcher a  hog, throw it on a rotisserie and let it roast overnight while we drink a few, listen to some music play some bourre and tell lies? I'd be willing to go all the way to the Philippines for that.  8)  8)  8)
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bwanna

oh boy, a trip to the Philippines. i will really have to save my pennies. maybe even stop buying phones for a while :o

where i come from, johnny cakes are cornbread. maybe it's something different in rhode island. what the heck is bourre ??? my brother hosts a huge pig roast every year. good eatin' & good fun.

briny, why ya gotta pick on bill. he's having a bad week. was kinda funny, tho ;)
donna

Ellen

Johnny cake, in my family, is white corn meal, pour boiling water over it, wait a while, add some milk, then fry in little thin flat cakes.  Just the thing for scrawny puritan-minded people.  Kind of the opposite of a pig roast, which I also enjoy.  Everyone's recipe is different, and what kind of corn is important, too.  My Dad keeps telling me (2 years now) how Whit Davis's corn meal doesn't make good johnny cakes.  Yeah, yeah.  I make them for family nostalgia once a decade or so.  I also make springerle.   German cookies, very beautiful; also kind of puritan-minded.  I sense a theme.  We eat watermelon with spoons.   No salt. Sometimes we cut it with a sword, though.

If you image-google "johnny cake", ours is nothing like those!

foots

Ellen, thanks for filling me in on the johnny cake thing. Bring some to the cochon de lait in the Phillippines  ;D

Bwanna, bourre is a card game that's been very popular around here for many, many years. Here's a link  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourr%C3%A9
These are  the playing cards of choice

bwanna

joshua, i like to play euchre, your game sounds a little more difficult. is this the area where you live, Acadiana region of Louisiana?

how do you pronounce bourre?
donna

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
Funny you say Euchre, that was the games of choice when I was at G.M., it must be a skilled labor thing ? We had two sometimes 3 tables going at once at break time.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

Bwanna, its pronounced boo-ray, it's quite simple and fun. After a few hands most people catch on quite well and soon develope their own strategy. I just read about this Euchre game since I have never heard of it before. If you can understand Euchre, bourre should be no problem at all. Yes I do live in the Acadiana region. The arrow points to my town.

McHeath

Been to Louisiana a couple times back in the early 90's, had some familia living in Slidell and also in Metairie.  We were living in central Texas at the time.  It was quite the experience, in Slidell if you went out to the back fence and opened the gate it was swamp as far as you could see.  Just amazing to someone with my central Calif semi-desert upbringing.  Their housing development was a series of streets with cul de sacs that were built up above the swamp, fairly new homes as well and a nice neighborhood.  I wondered about alligators and they said they'd never seen any but heard they were possible. 

And good lord it was hot and muggy!  It was summer each visit, and I thought Calif got hot, but it was nothing like the heat of high 90's and a swamp nearby!

Really pretty countryside all down the Interstate 10, and so much water! 

Went to New Orleans, and did the whole tourist thing.  With the possible exception of El Paso it was the poorest American city I'd ever seen.  Not like the places in Mexico and Haiti that I've lived, but for a US town it was surprisingly poor and run down.  Slidell and Metairie were not like that, and were pretty nice places.  Good food however in N.O. 

foots

Hey McHeath, my aunt used to live in Metarie. Have you ever eaten at the Come Back Inn there? They have the best muffulettas I've ever eaten.  I've been all over New Orleans too, I enjoy going to the Aquarium of the Americas, the Riverwalk and the Audubon Zoo as well as some other places but never in a million years would I ever want to live there.
  Slidell is a nice place though. Alligators really aren't that bad as they usually don't bother people very much. It's the cotton mouths you need to worry about in the swampy areas. I'm glad you got to experience some of Louisiana's wonderful humidity, and if you think the high 90s were bad, this past summer we had several days of 103-104 degrees, not counting the heat index. By any chance did you have the opportunity to be attacked by any of our mosquitos? Multiple mosquito bites go very well with hot, muggy weather  ;D

bwanna

ok, now what are muffulettas? i have not ever been to louisiana, but i'm thinkin i'd like to check it out. would like to learn how to play "boo-ray". euchre can get a little tense between partners sometimes >:(
donna

foots

contraste

And here's me, thinking the English and the Americans spoke the same language.

I'm reading this thread in one window and wikipedia in another just to make sense of it all. This forum is better than Discovery and History rolled into one and it has the human touch.

You all make the US sound like a strange and wondrous place.

McHeath

Yes we got to enjoy the mosquitos, and they got to enjoy us as dinner!  What made it even more phun was that the Slidell relatives did not turn on the AC as they were trying to save money, it was like sleeping in the oven.

QuoteYou all make the US sound like a strange and wondrous place.

It certainly is something.  I've been here and there around the globe and each land has it's interesting features of course.  What makes the US so interesting is the wide variety as it's just so huge, you can go from never see a drop of rain deserts with ancient American Indian peoples, to Cajun country of gators and the French Quarter in a couple of days drive.  (hard driving) 

And as for speaking the same language, we don't even do that in America from one side to another.  We have a CD the kids at school listen to for English grammar work, and the woman on it has a thick Texas accent, which our hispanic California kids find almost impossible to understand.  It's pretty funny really, watching the puzzled looks on their faces when she says, "uh sin-tanse sin-tanse sin-tanse is kumpleet kumpleet kumpleet whan phive seempul ru-ules it meetz meetz meetz". 

This forum is great for learning about other places.  I've learned a good deal about England and the Philippines as a result of spending time here and seeing where people are from. 

Dan/Panther

What I think makes the US so unique, is the fact, that you can travel short distances, and see so many different types of people, because we are basically a miniature world, whereas if you go to Mexico say for instance, you see the Mexican culture. Here in the US you can travel and see mini cultures from all over the world. What ever you can experince in the world, we will have a mini version of it here in the US.
The United States is perhaps the only country in the world where a majority of the people do not have a common background or ethnic origin.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Count me as one who has also experienced New Orleans humidity.  DC gets pretty muggy in the summer, but it's nothing compared to New Orleans.  It makes one wonder why a place so inhospitable was settled in the first place.  I went in January, so it probably was quite nice by Louisiana standards.  I had a stopover in Miami, and it was in the 90s there.  In JANUARY!  Ridiculousness.

I'm a northern guy and I needs mah snow!
= DARRIN =