News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Candlestick from ebay

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 08, 2015, 08:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I jumped on this BiN from ebay pretty early; a WE candlestick (missing receiver and mouthpiece) with a #2 dial, which includes patent dates on the edge of the dial and a bare brass retaining ring, for $49 BiN!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221710616177
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Bartonpipes

Good find!

That's definitely worth the price even if you decide just to use it for parts.
-Andrew

wds

Nice grab.  Looks like the older #2 dial with the nickel number card ring.  Pictures are the best, but I don't see the patent dates across the bottom of the base - they could be around the side of the base which makes it an early 50al.  Definitely worth the $49. 
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Bartonpipes on March 08, 2015, 08:18:51 PM
Good find!

That's definitely worth the price even if you decide just to use it for parts.
Thanks!

I have always wanted a candlestick with a #2 dial, but every one that I've found has a #5 or was heavily modified with an AE dial stuck in it initially. This phone will absolutely be restored, and the same dial will be in it. I know it needs work, but I would be kind of sad if it were perfect.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: wds on March 08, 2015, 08:25:07 PM
Nice grab.  Looks like the older #2 dial with the nickel number card ring.  Pictures are the best, but I don't see the patent dates across the bottom of the base - they could be around the side of the base which makes it an early 50al.  Definitely worth the $49. 
I meant to say that the patent dates were on the side of the dial, indicating that it's earlier.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Besides having a #2 on the finger stop, is their a way to tell if what kind of dial it is? (Of course after distinguishing it to be a WE dial.)

Ben 

Bartonpipes

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 08, 2015, 08:32:18 PM
Thanks!

I have always wanted a candlestick with a #2 dial, but every one that I've found has a #5 or was heavily modified with an AE dial stuck in it initially. This phone will absolutely be restored, and the same dial will be in it. I know it needs work, but I would be kind of sad if it were perfect.

I know exactly what you mean, I prefer phones that are a little dirty and used as opposed to ones that have already been restored/refurbished by someone else.

Besides, when they are a bit dirty and worn that usually means they will cost less, although I once saw a rusted out black 500 with a stuck dial for $50....
-Andrew

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 08, 2015, 09:01:52 PM
Besides having a #2 on the finger stop, is their a way to tell if what kind of dial it is? (Of course after distinguishing it to be a WE dial.)

Ben 
Are you asking how I can tell it's a #2 vs any other kind of dial?
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 08, 2015, 09:26:21 PM
Yes, Christian.

Ben
Well first of all, the basic shape of the finger stop is more curved at the tip than some #4 and #5 stops. This could also indicate a converted #2-#4, which would be easy to convert back to a #2. Another thing is the patent dates on the side of the casing. Some (but not all) of the #2s out there have them. They were usually for A1 Desk Stands, B1s and early dial sticks, where the dates would be easier to see. Patent dates on the side were only on #2s, but not all #2s had them.

The dial plates are also a good indicator. The notchless plates (versions without notches in the side to make room interior-mounted fingerstops) are a bonus; again, not all #2s had them, but all of these plates can only be mounted in #2s. They curved up inside  near the center towards the fingerwheel, whereas the later plates went straight across and ended there. It's easier to see than explain.

Here are examples of a notchless plate vs a notched plate, courtesy of oldphoneworks.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 08, 2015, 09:51:19 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 08, 2015, 09:26:21 PM
Yes, Christian.

Ben
Well first of all, the basic shape of the finger stop is more curved at the tip than some #4 and #5 stops. This could also indicate a converted #2-#4, which would be easy to convert back to a #2. Another thing is the patent dates on the side of the casing. Some (but not all) of the #2s out there have them. They were usually for A1 Desk Stands, B1s and early dial sticks, where the dates would be easier to see. Patent dates on the side were only on #2s, but not all #2s had them.

The dial plates are also a good indicator. The notchless plates (versions without notches in the side to make room interior-mounted fingerstops) are a bonus; again, not all #2s had them, but all of these plates can only be mounted in #2s. They curved up inside  near the center towards the fingerwheel, whereas the later plates went straight across and ended there. It's easier to see than explain.

Here are examples of a notchless plate vs a notched plate.
I thank you for explaining that to me.

Ben

HarrySmith

Nice catch! I have been looking, sort of, for cheap dial stick. Now you have my hopes up again.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

On it's way! :D

It will be here today!
Christian Petterson