News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary Won't Ring- Wires Crossed?

Started by Michael13, July 23, 2013, 07:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael13

I recently acquired three rotary phones that I thought would be fun to get into working order.  One is a wall mounted phone and the other two are table tops.  I had to replace all the lines for each, so one end would be modular. The wall phone I got working with no problem but I am having problems with the two table top phones getting them to ring.
I'll see if I can take a photo of it at some point, but hopefully I can explain it well. 
I view the line connection as a triangle.  The red and green are at the bottom and the yellow is between the two and raised.  When I do this, I get a dial tone and the phone works, but does not ring.  This is the exact set-up as the wall mounted phone, so I was surprised it wouldn't ring.  What I realized though, if I remove the yellow wire, and put the green wire there, the phone rings.  Yet, no dial tone.  So the ringer works, but something is off with the wires.  I also put the yellow wire where the green was but that did nothing.  I've switched wires in so many combos, but can only get a dial tone with the red and green at the bottom, and only a ring if I put the green above where the yellow should be.
Anyone know what I may be doing wrong?  Sorry I don't have a pic at this point, but I am hoping it may be just as easy fix.
Thanks!

G-Man

Remove the black ringer wire from the same terminal that the yellow wire is also connected to and move it to the same terminal that the green wire is connected.

G-Man

Also, it helps if you tell us the manufacturer, date and model numbers of the telephones you are inquiring about. I assume the wall telephone is a 554C/D and the desk sets are model 500C/D instruments.

The terminals are located on top of the network (metal can with plastic top with terminals.) and a layout guide and the type (425B?) is printed on the side show the locations of the network.

So if it is a 425-type network then the terminals you are referring to are L-1, L-2 and G. with the RED GREEN AND YELLOW wires connected to them. The ringer wires are SLATE, SLATE/RED which are connected to terminals A and K,  RED connected to L-2 and BLACK connected to either G or L-1 depending upon the desired ringing scheme; in your case it should be moved from G and moved to L-1.

G-Man

Wrong Diagram-

Try this one:

Quote from: G-Man on July 23, 2013, 08:13:18 AM
Also, it helps if you tell us the manufacturer, date and model numbers of the telephones you are inquiring about. I assume the wall telephone is a 554C/D and the desk sets are model 500C/D instruments.

The terminals are located on top of the network (metal can with plastic top with terminals.) and a layout guide and the type (425B?) is printed on the side show the locations of the network.

So if it is a 425-type network then the terminals you are referring to are L-1, L-2 and G. with the RED GREEN AND YELLOW wires connected to them. The ringer wires are SLATE, SLATE/RED which are connected to terminals A and K,  RED connected to L-2 and BLACK connected to either G or L-1 depending upon the desired ringing scheme; in your case it should be moved from G and moved to L-1.

Michael13

Thanks for the replies.  I verified that it is a 500C/D with a 425B network.  I wired it up based on the diagram, and moved the black wire to where the green wire- so green and black are together but I still don't get a ring.  The only way I have been able to get it to ring so far is by moving the green to the yellow, as mentioned but no dial tone.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong??

Michael13

I got it to work.  I misunderstood and was connecting the black wire for the line to L1.  There was an existing wire on terminal G that I moved to L1 and now it works.  Thanks for all your help!

G-Man

Quote from: Michael13 on July 23, 2013, 07:18:42 PM
I got it to work.  I misunderstood and was connecting the black wire for the line to L1.  There was an existing wire on terminal G that I moved to L1 and now it works.  Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for letting us know of your successful outcome!