News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT/Kellogg 1500?

Started by elmwood, March 28, 2012, 12:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmwood

Picked up an intact 10 key Kellogg 1500 clone of the Western Electric 1500 at a thrift store over the weekend - $2.  It's clean, no rust, hardwired cords and four-prong plug intact, everything is original, nothing broken, and all dates seem to be close; the phone was made in March 1968.  The phone is a strange light yellow color, but it doesn't appear to be fading from sunlight; the color is uniform inside and out.  The faceplate is black.

How unusual is this thing?  

I'm probably going to sell it.  I like the idea of working collectibles, something I can use in my day-to-day life, and a touch-tone phone without a pound and star key will have a hard time navigating phone trees and voice mail menus.  (FWIW, I'm planning on adding external keypads to my most prized rotary phones when I get the time.)

Phonesrfun

I would not call it unusual, but due to the short time span of the more limited 1500, they were quickly outdated and replaced with 2500's and people shunned them for a long time.  Now they are popular amongst collectors, and in relatively short supply.  Anything with an ITT label is not going to get as much as Western Electric, generally, but many people don't care.

You are likely to get a lot more than you paid for it, but still, you won't get a fortune for it either. My two cents.  I am no expert on values.

-Bill G

elmwood

Thanks!  FWIW, I put it on eBay a few hours ago.

As it turns out, it's almost the same as the phone in Don Draper's bedroom on this year's season of Mad Men.

Doug Rose

Quote from: elmwood on April 08, 2012, 12:35:42 AM
Thanks!  FWIW, I put it on eBay a few hours ago.

As it turns out, it's almost the same as the phone in Don Draper's bedroom on this year's season of Mad Men.
eBay auction number?
Kidphone

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Kidphone

JorgeAmely

March 1968, president Johnson mandated that all computers purchased by the Feds be capable of supporting the ASCII character set.

More cool stuff at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968
Jorge

AE_Collector

$102.50! Nice going Elmwood! Nice return on your investment!

Terry