News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Awesome vintage phone sign in Eugene, OR

Started by Greg G., April 12, 2011, 11:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I'm not normally into phone paraphernalia, but this one appears to be in very good shape and CHEAP!  Unfortunately, he was unwilling to ship it. 

http://eugene.craigslist.org/atq/2317592946.html ( dead link 03-02-21 )

QuoteMetal Sign - $10 (South Eugene)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-04-10, 7:31PM PDT
Reply to: sale-kxege-2317592946@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign reads "one finger is all it takes" in reference to the rotary dial phone that it is advertising. Old, used but great condition that adds to the character of the piece.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Greg:

I think I remember that you have been known to drive from Seattle to Eugene for phone stuff in the past.  Maybe not for a ten Dollar item, though.

:)

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 12, 2011, 12:40:54 PM
Greg:

I think I remember that you have been known to drive from Seattle to Eugene for phone stuff in the past.  Maybe not for a ten Dollar item, though.

:)

Yes, but mostly just to the Portland/Vancouver area, Eugene is another 2 hours south.   That was when I had two days off and could visit Mom on the way.  Gas was cheaper too.

He's actually raised the price, it was only $5.  This one's a steal, I hope someone here gets it!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Greg....This sure looks like a reproduction sign to me, but just my opinion....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 12, 2011, 06:20:40 PM
Greg....This sure looks like a reproduction sign to me, but just my opinion....Doug
Maybe that's why it's so cheap.
- Mike Row
e

GG

Seems to me the only reason to use the phrase "Rotary Dial" as distinct from just saying "Dial", is when the alternative is "Touch Tone Dial." 

Before touchtone, dial phones were "dial" as distinct from "manual," and pre-WW2 you'd run across phrases such as "automatic telephones" and "machine switching." 

So I'm going to guess this sign is a modern creation.