News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to remove paint from Soft Plastic?

Started by John S, November 28, 2013, 11:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove paint from soft plastic.  I bought a phone, took it apart, discovered that some of the parts are soft plastic.  The case looks to be oxford grey and the handset Mediterranean  blue.  Might be fun to clean up and see what it looks like.  Here are some pictures.  

TelePlay

This question came up just a few weeks ago, posted by Doug Rose, of a painted 500 soft plastic phone he has (had?) and had it on -> eBay <- but did not sell. There were a few suggestions at this forum link for paint removal from soft plastic. There may be others, I did not do a search.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10145.0

John S

Gilas

Wow hope it is an oxford grey. The handset sure looks blue to me. As far as getting the paint off it really depends on what type of paint. I used easy off on a pink soft plastic that was painted black and the black wiped right off. Then I just polished it right up

WesternElectricBen

Great find, with two rare colors, I haven't even dreamed about 554's in rare colors, not till I finish my 500 collection.

It would be awesome for you to find a brown handset and use that med blue one for another project.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Once you clean all of the paint off, you should put it together, and call it "Most Valuble FrankenPhone in the World". ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on November 28, 2013, 11:57:55 AM
This question came up just a few weeks ago, posted by Doug Rose, of a painted 500 soft plastic phone he has (had?) and had it on -> eBay <- but did not sell. There were a few suggestions at this forum link for paint removal from soft plastic. There may be others, I did not do a search.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10145.0
The Easyoff did not budge it a bit. I tried a few times. I tried to give it away for what I paid for it on eBay. No go, they all can't be winners. All dates match so it will be parted out for a donor phone....good luck with your challenge....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

I too have had good results with Easy-Off oven cleaner....IF the paint is not Polane.  Polane seems to be bullet-proof.  I've only heard of people sanding away Polane.  That's a big job with a lot of obstacles.  (Logo, edges, etc).  Buy a can of Easy-Off...give it a try.  Read the precautions on the can...it's very caustic.

Gilas

I also tried it with a soft that was sprayed with Polane and it didn't even sorta touch it.

JorgeAmely

The only practical way to remove Polane is sanding it away. You can wet a rag with acetone (wear gloves, please) and that will remove it also, but it will damage the finish, so the only way to fix the damaged finish is with sanding, so you are back to square one. However, in a 554, you will have the Bell logo from which it is not easy (almost impossible) to remove the paint.

It is much easier if the Polane and the original color are similar, as in my example here ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/108755568773115900755/1955RoseBeige

Jorge

Contempra

Hi to all :D..I just bought this on EBay for $30 and its a Nothern Electric...and really we don't know , me and the seller, What kind of paint is on the handset of the phone... But as the opinions are different here on the subject, what is the best solution to remove paint on the handset?

There are of scratches on the handset so I deduce that the painting could be removed easily but I will know when I will receive the phone within one or two weeks.

I put the pictures of the phone.

DebbieDoo

Quote from: John S on November 28, 2013, 11:40:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove paint from soft plastic.  I bought a phone, took it apart, discovered that some of the parts are soft plastic.  The case looks to be oxford grey and the handset Mediterranean  blue.  Might be fun to clean up and see what it looks like.  Here are some pictures. 

I'm curious to know if you were ever able to get all the paint off and what does it look like now.

TelePlay

For posterity . . .