News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I get Paint off of Soft Plastic??

Started by Doug Rose, September 11, 2013, 09:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this at Brimfield. All dated match. How do I get the paint off. Should I dye the cords or try steel wool on them? Any ideas. It isn't attracting any buyers and I am up for the challenge. Any ideas??..thanks...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290973907221
Kidphone

brshaffer

Hey Doug.

I'm new to the hobby but I've actually removed paint from a few sets already, though nothing this offensive  :o.  It all depends on the type of paint, latex is the easiest to remove. 

I've had very good luck with 90% rubbing alcohol; it liquefies the paint at a surprising rate.  The first phone I ever purchased was a black princess on which it looked like a person with white paint covered hands made a few calls, it was all over it.  The alcohol did not damage or discolor the soft plastic at all, and it removed every last speck.  (Note to others, this does NOT apply to thermoplastic, found on most 302 sets--it will dull the finish).

In researching paint removal methods, I've also seen recommendations for oven cleaner, heavy automobile rubbing compound, and fine grit sandpaper followed up by plastic novus polish.

The rule with paint removal generally is to try non abrasive methods first, then work your way up in strength to minimize damage.

I don't know if this will work for phones, but I know that soaking a plastic Lionel diesel engine shell in a bucket of dish soap and water overnight will remove all the factory paint right down to the plastic. 

WesternElectricBen

Gilas

I use Easy Off and it works wonders. Used it in a soft plastic
Pink that had been painted black. Sprayed it. Left it for about 5 minutes. Cleaned then repeated as needed

Mike

AE40FAN

If its not polane you can try purple simple green concentrated solution.  Just be careful of the stamped numbers as it will remove those. 

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson