News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What seems to be the problem???

Started by mienaichizu, May 09, 2010, 09:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

last night I was working on a AE80, at first I tested it then it works and rings. I decided to replace the handset and line cord since its badly frayed, when I reconnected it the way it was, the phone is not working. When I connect the line cords, I only hear faint sound if static and no dial tone?

On another phone I'm working on, another AE80, when I connect the line cords, I also hear the same, a faint sound of static with a dial tone that would only last a second then its gone. What seems to be the problem?? can anyone help me on this??

JorgeAmely

Can you put back the frayed cord to see if it works OK?
Jorge

Dan/Panther

My guess is, if you made the cord yourself, maybe one of the crimped ends is not making contact.
The only thing the two phones have in common is the cord right ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

i didn't make the cords, I take it from a spare AE80 so I think it would not be  problem.

Phonesrfun

M~:

I would double check the connections against an AE80 wiring diagram.  They are available on the TCI website, and the connections vary slightly between the potted network and the printed circuit card network, although they don't vary much.

If you aren't familiar with following wiring diagrams, tell us where you have the handset cord wired and where you have the line cord wired in the phone and whether you have a potted network or a printed circuit card network.  Perhaps even a photo of the connections.

The trouble you are having, and the fact that you swapped both the line cord and the handset cord present too many variables.  We will need to get down to the basics of where each is wired, and make sure you haven't got some wire touching another wire that should not be touching.  It is easy for the spade tips to touch another connection if you aren't looking for that.

-Bill G

DarrenWGaransi

Hello there,
You may also want to try this.  I was working on the same model and I was completely baffled!  A very quiet dial tone and some static, that was it. 
Check the earpiece receiver and look closely between the shell and signal terminal.  Mine had that awful silver migrationa and tiny silver "hairs" were shorting the earpiece.  I blew all the hairs out, then slid a piece of electrical tape between the gap.  All is well now.