News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is the gooey substance inside metal box in old Western Electric?

Started by tinker, August 20, 2010, 09:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinker

I am in the process of disassembling an old rotary Western Electric phone for a project and I need to detach all the parts from the base. It was going well until I opened up a metal box which all the wires feed into. Everything in the box is coated in a clear gooey type substance. Does anyone know what this substance is and is it hazardous? The cotents of the metal box need to be removed as I believe there is a screw at the bottom attaching it to the base. I am not an expert on rotary phones so please be easy on me. An knowledge appreciated.

HarrySmith

Hi! Welcome to the forum. It is probably dielectric compound. What phone do you have? How old is it? I posted some pictures here of a network from a Western Electric 500 here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3017.0 Is this what you have? There is usually no reason to have to open one up. I opened this one to clean it out and use for a project posted here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3115.0
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

Hi and welcome!  The gooey stuff is certainly interesting, and given the era it was made in probably not all the healthy.  But that's mere speculation on my part.

As for how to remove that metal box, the technical term for it network and it's riveted to the chassis.  the rivets are visible on the feet like tabs on the side.  They can be drilled out and replaced if you so desire.  Some other companies used nuts and bolts to attach the box on their clone copies of the phone, but Western Electric never did. 

You could drill the rivets out and remove the box and then use nuts and bolts to reattach it.  To drill out the rivets easily you'd need access to a drill press.  I've stripped phone chassis' down a couple of time to get some parts and with a drill press it's quick and easy.  You could also do it with a hand drill.

tinker

Thank you so much for your quick replies! Well, I guess I didn't need to take network apart after all but I did learn something new so that counts for something, right?

My applause to whoever started this forum and to those who maintain it :)

Dennis Markham

Thank you "tinker".  There are many friendly folks here that will help you answer your telephone questions.  Please feel free to ask as many as you like.  Photos are always welcome and help to diagnose problems.

This topic will help you learn to upload photos, if you choose.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2670.0

Welcome to the Forum!

~Dennis

tinker

Thank you, okay since you are all so friendly :) I have another question for you. What makes the phone cord coil? Is it the plastic or the wires inside? Also, is the inside hollow or is the interior also filled with plastic around the wiring. I could find out the answer simply by cutting one open but that would destroy a perfectly good phone cord.

bingster

Coiled cords start out life as straight cords.  They're tightly wrapped around a rod of some sort, heated, cooled, and when they're removed they retain their coil.  The cord is more or less solid, with the cord's jacket material filling the spaces around the conductors inside.
= DARRIN =

tinker

How interesting, you folks really do know your stuff! Thank you for the information. My network is now free from the chassis and I'm ready to finish the project.