News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECo #2 Dial Help

Started by dencins, April 06, 2012, 01:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

While working on a WECo #2, a small part on the back broke.  I think it may have been made from phenolic and fits on the pawl that breaks the final contact when dialing (not the pulse pawl).  I have borrowed a Dennis Markham photo of a #5 dial to show the part.  It is at the end of the red line and below the contacts.

From what I can tell, the part looks the same on #2, #4 and #5 dials.  It looks like it adds spacing to open the contact above it and close the contact below it.  I am not sure if it is insulating anything.

Does anyone know what can be used as a substitute for the material on the pawl or should I start looking for another part?

Dennis Hallworth

Phonesrfun

I feel your pain.  I have one that cracked and broke off too, only mine was a #4, not a #2.

Something must fit. 
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Dennis, I broke one of those once while using a pair of needle-nosed pliers to remove the small nut that holds it in place.  Something I don't do anymore----use pliers.  I contacted Steve Hilsz asking if he had a spare.  He sent me one right away and didn't even charge me for it.   That was a couple of years ago.  It's worth a shot to ask him if he has another.

I'm sure you could fashion something as a replacement.  Perhaps a blob of JB Weld followed by filing the part into shape.

AE_Collector

Is it just a small threaded stud with the phenolic insulator on it and then a nut on top to keep it there? How about an appropriate sized little section of insulation stripped off of electrical wire or cable as a replacement?

Terry

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 06, 2012, 08:35:18 AM
Dennis, I broke one of those once while using a pair of needle-nosed pliers to remove the small nut that holds it in place.  Something I don't do anymore----use pliers.  I contacted Steve Hilsz asking if he had a spare.  He sent me one right away and didn't even charge me for it.   That was a couple of years ago.  It's worth a shot to ask him if he has another.

I'm sure you could fashion something as a replacement.  Perhaps a blob of JB Weld followed by filing the part into shape.

Dennis, I want thinking about putting some JB Weld inside a small diameter straw and putting that over the broken insulator. After it dries, shape it to match the contour of the old one. Or call Steve.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Dennis....I agree......call Steve. We are all amateurs with dials compare to the the Dial King of AZ...Doug
Kidphone

dencins

I did some measuring of the pawl (0.062" or 1/16") which is about the same size as 14 gauge solid core wire.  I stripped a small piece of wire (black conductor) and pushed it over the pawl then trimmed it to length.  It fit tight and holds very well.  The contacts now operate correctly.  It even looks like the original material.  Problem solved.

Dennis Hallworth

JorgeAmely

Necessity is the mother of invention. Congrats sir.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Gee and I thought everyone just dismissed my idea as unworkable....or that the missing piece wasn't that straight forward.

Terry

Quote from: AE_collector on April 06, 2012, 11:57:03 AM
Is it just a small threaded stud with the phenolic insulator on it and then a nut on top to keep it there? How about an appropriate sized little section of insulation stripped off of electrical wire or cable as a replacement?

Terry

Phonesrfun

Your suggestion must have been too practical.  Now I need to go try it out on my dial.
-Bill G

dencins

Terry

I should have thanked you.

I never dismiss any idea until after I try it.  Some ideas will lead to other ideas but in this case the solution was fairly simple once I took the dimensions.

Hopefully the solution will benefit others.

Dennis Hallworth

Dennis Markham

Great idea, Terry.  Congrats Dennis.  A nice fix.  Now I can repair the one I broke (that I kept).  One never knows when it will be needed.