News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 2 Line Phone is Called a... ??? (AE Type 31)

Started by Slal, January 24, 2018, 07:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Inspired by a guy who rescued thousands of phones while I was still a kid playing with GI Joe, decided to finish phone related "to do' list.

So first of all, what is this phone called exactly?  The schematic inside reads, "L -1135 AO" which tells me nothing.  A catalog has it as any one of several.  Basic monophone on top, obviously a hold button, and toggle switch.  Have a 51 dial in it for now.  Probably needs a 24A36 and... Where can you get 5 wires needed for dial & wiring an old Monophone?  Am using thin telco wireand the stuff breaks on me.  "Don't understand this.  It should dial out.  Followed the diagram.  Stupid dial..."

Turns out one of the wires had broken off at terminal.   ; )

kleenax

I call them an AE Type 31. Have a pic from the AE catalog depicting this model. I have even cast a couple of these. This is a pic of a Jade Green example fabricated for Gary Goff. Also my Clear example.

Never take it apart!  They are terrible to re-assemble!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Yes I guess all these 1A's with switch type bases added are 31's and these 1A's with round extension bases that gave induction coils and condensers inside (not ringers though?) are 32's. This one may not be a 1A though with that handset.

Terry

Slal

Thanks.   That was quick!

Where are you guys getting 31 though?  Just curious. 

4055A, C & D are confusing.

"Cat. AA-24 - Holding on one line only - Automatic
Has only one key, through which the telephone is normally
connected to line No. 1. When the key is depressed (with
the handset off the cradle), the telephone is connected to
line No.2, and a holding bridge is placed on this line, so
that a call on line No. 2 can be held while the key is
switched back to line No. 1. No holding bridge is pro·
vided for line No.1, so it is recommended that this type
of "Two-Line" Monophone be used only where one line
is a local or private line."

AE-31 no matter how many toggle switches-- with or without 'hold' button? 

Be interesting to try to wire putting telemarketer on "hold" and play elevator music.  ; )  Right now the base is just decorative.

@Kleenax

That's some amazing work in molding.  AE demo model!     :)

Edit:

@ Terry (or anyone for that matter)

Does 31 or 32 tie in with 'year of introduction' idea?

The only catalogs I have are from here, courtesy of Stubbs I think.  Confusing though,  because Type 43 and Type 44 before those years.  Candlestick type 21 valid for 1921 though?

When was the 'cutoff year' for lack of better term? 

Thanks for reading

--Bruce

stub

Bruce ,
           AE Catalog 4055 , 1934 , pg. 16 . The catalog is still in the AE Catalog listing to download . You got 3 more to get . Mr. Kirk has the other different one with two switches.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

All the bases with various lever keys and functions should be 31's.

Yeah I think that 31 & 32 likely followed the year of introduction theory but I'm not certain. They are variations of the 1A introduced in about 1925 or so. I suspect that AE "started over" at #1 then as it was the first "Monophone"....which means combined into one....IE: a handset not a separate transmitter and receiver.

By 34 and 35 they were definitely following year of introduction and 40 if not bang on is at least close, probably really 39. From there on it started to fall apart with the introduction of the 50. Could be argued that 34 upgraded to 40 so 35 should upgrade to 50. For whatever reason they went 40 and 50 and then filled inbetween with others like 43, 44, 47 etc. If I were in charge the 43 and 44 would have been 53 & 54 in the 50 wallphone series.

Then they upgraded 40 & 50 to 80 & 90 following similar logic.

Terry

Slal

@ Stub

Thanks for heads up about catalogs.  The more info I have the better.  I need to go through it *carefully* though.  Page 16... Read it & weep.  Never claimed to be sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.  Need computer glasses for fancy 4k monitor...   :o

@ Terry

Thanks again for 'year' and 'fill in models' idea.  For some reason early on, really liked the (Model 32?) "PAX desktop phone - 32A14 HS"  Calling variants "Type 31" etc. much easier.

I asked at gallery topic, but also post here in event topic turns up in search engine.

A type 47?  That's the 'switching' version model of a 40 then?  Again-- all of them-- no matter how many toggle switches, or buttons?

@ Everyone

How do you safely remove old paper schematics and documentation that can easily be damaged?  Photographed it of course, but if I ever got ambitious and wanted to wire the base, I'd be very worried about the old schematic in there.

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on January 25, 2018, 05:43:12 PM
Thanks for heads up about catalogs.  The more info I have the better.  I need to go through it *carefully* though.  Page 16... Read it & weep.  Never claimed to be sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.  Need computer glasses for fancy 4k monitor...   :o

I downloaded those two pages, opened them in Elements at 600 dpi, processed them joined them side by side, and saved them in place of the image uploaded earlier. I think this new version is easier to read, better contrast.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19687.msg201818#msg201818

Still not real good but keep in mind all we are given to start with is the quality used to scan in the original documents in the first place.

AE_Collector

AE 47 would have been the next two/three Line AE after the Type 31. It is pretty much just a 47 with a few optional uses of the little round button up by the cradle. A third line with no ability to hold it like line 1 & 2 have, exclusion, or a buzzer button.

Terry