News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tenite Garnet Red Type 80

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 22, 2017, 04:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Looking at the before pictures I see that you were lucky with the anodized baseplate around the feet. No signs of the foot rusting the metal base as quite often happens. The funny white slightly oval marks down one side of the base plate were caused by the phone sitting in storage ON the handset coil cord. I have several variations of coil cord marks on both metal bases and plastic housings, many likely caused by me not being more careful in storing phones.

I think many of these raw materials kept undergoing slight "improvements" through their lifetime in Phone production thus the very different experiences in how they survive the years as well as how they behave in restoration.

Lots of differences between AE and WE phones through the years but overall we (phone collectors) are lucky that AE continued to do their own thing as opposed to licensing the WECo designs.

Terry

dlvh

Goodness Christian,

That looks just Fantastic! And your pictures taking skills (with your new camera equipment/setup) are at their prime! Impressive...Most Impressive!

Merry Christmas!

David

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks again everyone!

Haf: The steel wool idea sounds promising, especially after using 800 grit. I'll try that out!

Terry: I have actually had issues with the base rusting around the outgassing feet--on both my Ivory and Jade Green 80's, I have at least one screw head for the cord clamp (or strain relief) broken off, after trying to unscrew it from the base to get the cord cleaned and reshapened. These screws weren't rusted to the base, so they were very easy to remove and reassemble without issues. I still need to remove the rest of one screw from each of my other 80's, but I learned my lesson.

David: I'm actually using my 4-year-old iPad's camera for these pictures. I guess the lighting improves everything! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 25, 2017, 12:55:37 AM
I guess the lighting improves everything! :D

Setting, framing and lighting, the 3 biggies that must exist before snapping the shutter to have a chance at getting a great image.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm now one step closer to a complete handset cord!

Several years ago, my Dad let me have several Beige ITT radio control units (essentially a 2500 with different innards and a speaker replacing the faceplate) that he had lying around. They were pretty much useless in every way, but I figured I could use the thicker handset cord for my 500s. Nope. The cord boot is completely different from any other phone, so it wouldn't look authentic on anything. Hmm, where will I find a phone that needs a 4 conductor coiled cord that doesn't need a handset boot? ::)

Well, I found it! ;D

I got some RIT dye, boiled a pot of water, and got to work. The resulting color isn't quite right, but it's close enough. I still need to cut the jacket back quite a bit on one end, and resize and respade the conductors, but I tucked one end under the phone and the other in the handset, just to get an idea of what it should look like when it's finished. Mind you, this was a beige cord an hour ago.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"