"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Favorite Sources for Parts?

Started by HobieSport, October 26, 2008, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Howdy All,

So far my favorite is Old Phone Works.  The website is well organized, parts are easy to find, reasonably priced, and they had everything I needed:
cords, gongs, dial parts, etc..

The Phoneco site isn't so easy to locate items on, and the descriptions are not as complete as OFW.

How about you?  -Matt

bingster

I agree on both counts.   Oldphoneworks is my first stop because of how easy it is to find items on the site.  Phoneco is the last place I look.  I know he's well-known, and people have lots of great things to say about him, as far as the site goes, it's the worst of all.  Horrible photos, nonexistent descriptions... really bad.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

Half the time, when I visit the Phoneco site, I can't even find the parts section, much less be able to locate what I need.

I agree, Old Phone Works is tops as far as I'm concerned.

HobieSport

Thanks Guys.  Yep, I found everything I needed at OPW really easily, except for one item:

Feet for my '48 302s.
One has a worn out triangular suede foot and one has a missing triangular red cloth foot.
OPW sells new triangular feet for Galions that may or may not fit, but I'd feel blasphemous mixing different companies. :P
Know of any sources for feet? I'm sure I'll need other feet in the future.
Thanks, -Matt

bingster

You could try e-mailing the folks at Wistful Vista...

http://www.oldtimephones.com/partsservices.html

...They have some parts available.  The feet aren't listed on the site, but they're pretty common, so they would probably have them.

I don't think a Gallion foot will work on a 302.  They're much thicker (and black), as I recall.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on October 26, 2008, 03:28:04 PM
Phoneco is the last place I look.  I know he's well-known, and people have lots of great things to say about him, as far as the site goes, it's the worst of all.  Horrible photos, nonexistent descriptions... really bad.

I have to agree. Phoneco has tons of stuff, but it a way their site reminds me of the old J.C. Whitney auto part catalogs. Remember those?  Maybe I'm dating myself.  They were poorly illustrated (with drawings!) and the items weren't described well. They didn't even give the brand names of the products!