News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric --- Starlight

Started by Contempra, November 23, 2022, 09:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Hello guys , I recently bought an Automatic Electric Starlight model telephone, I want to clean it but there is no way to remove the 'ear cap', nothing can be unscrewed. So my question is; how to remove the 'EAR-CAP'? This is my first Automatic Electric phone.

stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Contempra

Quote from: stub on November 23, 2022, 09:15:10 PMI used a hair dryer. stub

Thank you but there must be another way to do it because the hair dryer, well, it gets very hot for the fingers, doesn't it?

FABphones

A liberal spray of WD40 and a Wrench Strap.
100% success rate with even the most stubborn of endcaps.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

I'd suggest a combined approach. If you would heat the soft plastic way too hot to touch, you might easily damage it. But a hair dryer usually does not get that hot.

Contempra

Well , I see I don't really have a choice, it barely moves 1/8 inch in the hand, I'll have to find that toy you show me, but I think that toy could also be the one I use to remove the oil filter of my car :). Well, I hope it works, but I don't think I'll be buying another Automatic Electric phone anytime soon.

so , thank you guys .

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on November 23, 2022, 09:31:11 PMA liberal spray of WD40 and a Wrench Strap.
100% success rate with even the most stubborn of endcaps.

I can vouch for this method - 100% success rate here too.
:)

Quote from: Contempra on November 24, 2022, 07:54:14 AM... but I think that toy could also be the one I use to remove the oil filter of my car ...

That's exactly what it is - just make sure it's got a rubber or cloth strap and not a chain of course.

Contempra

Quote from: tubaman on November 24, 2022, 10:43:09 AMThat's exactly what it is - just make sure it's got a rubber or cloth strap and not a chain of course.

Wouahhhhhhhh... of course my friend !!  I will still go there very kindly . I don't want to break anything either. But why does it unscrew an 1/8 turn and it stops as if there was something preventing it? :( I don't really understand, but, do all these handsets, at least, this kind, only unscrew with force?

Stormcrash

Does it turn a little then get stuck or is it totally seized? AE put a cork pad inside the receiver cup and on my Starlite the glue had melted and attached that to the receiver element itself as well. That element is keyed so it couldn't rotate much, in the end the glue holding the pad to the cap gave out first

Contempra

Stormcrash .... Indeed, it turns only about 1/8 inch space no more, but as you say, likely it's the glue or the glue, I don't know. I'll see when I open it sometime. This phone does not rush me at the moment ;) but thank you for enlightening me about this which is becoming interesting, but which I was not aware of (Cork or glue)

FABphones

Quote from: Stormcrash on November 24, 2022, 04:46:30 PM...AE put a cork pad inside the receiver cup and on my Starlite the glue had melted and attached that to the receiver element itself as well. That element is keyed...

Do you have any photos you could attach?

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on November 25, 2022, 01:37:14 AMDo you have any photos you could attach?

It would not be useful for at least one reason, the only picture is visible in my first publication above, unfortunately there is nothing to do other than what I was advised, including a strapping.

I even tried it with both hands, it didn't move more than 1/8 inch. It really takes a 'strap' as shown in your post. I have another phone using the same system (handset) I opened it without any problem and I saw traces of cork remaining in the bottom of the 'earcap'.

So I have two choices; either I buy or I use an oil filter remover, or I'll leave it like that. I believe the second option will be best for me because the phone works great, I just wanted to clean it thoroughly. At least next time I'll know which tool to use. However, I'm not very fond of Automatic Electric, I don't like the feeling when I turn the dial. Anyway, I keep this one for my personal collection ;) . Thank you all for the help, it is much appreciated by all of you.

FABphones

The question was to Stormcrash. Sometimes it can help to look at another example first. :)

The Wrench Strap is a good tool to have, but hold the handset carefully. One hand on the Strap, the other on the handset but low and near the strap. More leverage away from the strap but the phone may break, so better to hold lower. Turn to try and open, then turn to close again. Repeat. This may help loosen/break any bind. Apply more WD40 if necessary and leave it for a little while to penetrate.

If the Strap slips, sometimes I wrap the endcap with a piece of none slip rubber matting.

<avant, mangez vos épinards!>
;D

(before, eat your spinach!)

Edit: I found this image (below) of a handset with the endcaps removed. It may help if you decide to continue another day.  :)

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on November 26, 2022, 02:42:55 AMThe question was to Stormcrash. Sometimes it can help to look at another example first. :)

<avant, mangez vos épinards!> ;D

Oups ... sorry :)

Oui j'en mange des épinards , mais en salade seulement :D

(Yes I eat spinach, but only in salads)

TelePlay

Seems like a combination of all of the above would be worth trying:

1) liberal lubrication with WDS-40 (let it sit for some time)
2) wrapping the cap with a non-slip material
3) heating the cap from the end (hot air on the holes) to about 50 F.
4) careful use of a strap wrench holding the handset on the back of the cap as possible (so as not to put undue torque on that part of the handset where it becomes the cap holder)