"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Dial Help! Can't Dial Out

Started by debeaune, August 16, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Thanks for the photos.
Do These Contacts Completely Separate When The lobs of the Cam Engage During Dialing? Slowly rotate the fingerwheel and watch them to verify they do completely separate.

If not, while listening to dial tone, push against the contact to separate them and see if dialtone stops. Then return it to normal and you should regain dialtone in the earpiece.

debeaune

Yes Gman, when I turn the dial and release, those 2 arms separate and re-connect as it pulses. They make contact in their normal state. Thank you

G-Man

Quote from: debeaune on August 19, 2015, 09:51:15 AM
Yes Gman, when I turn the dial and release, those 2 arms separate and re-connect as it pulses. They make contact in their normal state. Thank you

Ok, while listening to dialtone in the receiver, disconnect either the yellow or blue leads (terminals "1" or "11") from the dial. See if this removes the dialtone.

Phonesrfun

I would check to see that the blue and yellow wire go to terminals 1 and 11, respectively, and that there are no wires crossing over on the terminals on the circuit board. 

Also try "dialing" with the hookswitch.  See if flashing the hookswitch breaks dial tone.
-Bill G

G-Man

Terminal "1" - Blue wire from dial
Terminal "11" - Yellow Wire from dial, yellow wire from hookswitch
Terminal "10" - Red wire from linecord, black wire from hookswitch
Terminal "8" - Green wire from linecord, White wire from hookswitch

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on August 19, 2015, 12:52:37 PM
Terminal "1" - Blue wire from dial
Terminal "11" - Yellow Wire from dial, yellow wire from hookswitch
Terminal "10" - Red wire from linecord, black wire from hookswitch
Terminal "8" - Green wire from linecord, White wire from hookswitch
Further...

Terminal-
"4"  - Yellow handset wire and Red from dial
"5"  - Red handset wire
"23" - Black and Green handset wires

G-Man

There is either a wiring problem or both of the (twin) pulsing contacts are not totally separating even though they may appear to be.  It is difficult to tell but one of the twin contacts appears to be out of adjustment.

While listening to dialtone, either gently push the pulsing contacts apart until there is a very clear air-gap between all of them, or slip a business card or other piece of paper between them. Doing so should eliminate dialtone. This will tell us if there is a problem with the dial or wiring of the set.

Also, another test to see if there is a wiring problem is to  disconnect one of the wires leading to the pulsing contacts  to see if dialtone is still present. If it is, then a wiring problem would be indicated. Instructions for this procedure were given earlier.

unbeldi

What seems to be ignored here, is that the trouble report states:

Still can't dial out, just get dial tone throughout dial motion and after.

He is getting dial tone throughout dial motion.

This indicates that not only does the set not pulse, but that the receiver shunt does not work, because if it did then he shouldn't be hearing dial tone or anything during dial motion.

G-Man

Unbeldi, please download "ae80 new 6.jpg" The twin leaf set of the pulsing contacts appears to have been slightly mangled. If so, it is possible that while the upper contact can easily been seen opening, the lower contact may not. Please  magnify it and see if you agree.

That is why I asked him to manually push it open or slip cardstock between them. 

Phonesrfun

So, maybe the white or red dial shunt wires are connected somewhere they shouldn't be, so that the dial does not shunt the receiver, but does shunt the pulsing.
-Bill G

debeaune

Wiring verified, all is accurate.  Blue and yellow wiring is separate and does not touch anywhere nor is any other wiring crossing/touching on the network.  The blue and yellow leads do touch when idle and when I dial they do clearly separate.  When I separate the 2 lobes (blue and yellow) while I have dial tone the dial tone remains. Hope this helps, thoughts?

G-Man

Quote from: debeaune on August 19, 2015, 04:50:53 PM
Wiring verified, all is accurate.  Blue and yellow wiring is separate and does not touch anywhere nor is any other wiring crossing/touching on the network.  The blue and yellow leads do touch when idle and when I dial they do clearly separate.  When I separate the 2 lobes (blue and yellow) while I have dial tone the dial tone remains. Hope this helps, thoughts?

Next, disconnect the red and white wires coming from the shunting-springs on the dial.

stub

Tim,
        When you put the paper between the contacts like G-Man suggested , like pic, dial tone should disappear.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Here's a pic of the dial contacts when number 1 is pulled to the fingerstop and held there. Hope this helps.  stub

triple left click on pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

debeaune

Quote from: G-Man on August 19, 2015, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: debeaune on August 19, 2015, 04:50:53 PM

Next, disconnect the red and white wires coming from the shunting-springs on the dial.

Gman, disconnected red and white from dial, still get dial tone and same issue when I turn the wheel, dial tone throughout.  Stub, my legs look the same as yours in the 1 position help. Thank you.