News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting item: L-C-MAYER-CANDLESTICK-HIDE-A-PHONE-Circa-1920

Started by RotarDad, June 18, 2018, 07:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

I thought this was worth posting.  Seems like a strange accessory - I didn't know about these.  The $1500 asking seems kinda high......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173361492777

Partial eBay description: "This Very Rare circa 1915-1921 L C MAYER HIDE-A-PHONE  was a required accessory in houses of the wealthy who preferred to not be so obviously associated with the new-fangled candlestick telephones – they were unsightly in some settings it seems – tasteless even. So the luddites would hide the phone, out of sight, in perhaps, one of L C MAYER's creations – made of very durable and strong plaster with beautiful polychrome paint, it is quite heavy and seems very much like wood or molded repwood. The copyright for this version was filed in 1915 but the earliest production date was likely closer to 1920 – Mayer's Hide-A-Phones were the deluxe offerings of the day -  at once doing both the intended job and looking most attractive as a decorative accessory."

Full eBay description:  "This Very Rare circa 1915-1921 L C MAYER HIDE-A-PHONE  was a required accessory in houses of the wealthy who preferred to not be so obviously associated with the new-fangled candlestick telephones – they were unsightly in some settings it seems – tasteless even. So the luddites would hide the phone, out of sight, in perhaps, one of L C MAYER's creations – made of very durable and strong plaster with beautiful polychrome paint, it is quite heavy and seems very much like wood or molded repwood. The copyright for this version was filed in 1915 but the earliest production date was likely closer to 1920 – Mayer's Hide-A-Phones were the deluxe offerings of the day -  at once doing both the intended job and looking most attractive as a decorative accessory.

This wonderful piece is 14" high and about 9" wide, opening like a clamshell to a larger size. The figure was designed to secretly house a candlestick phone. The scene depicts a woman and a cherub with garland dancing around a globe– all beautifully polychromed and modelled in great detail. The patina on this large and very impressive item is literally delicious [if you are a fan of warm, soft, rich old patina] – barely a few small nicks and scuffs but in fine condition overall, Signed along the base COPYRIGHT and L C MAYER. Out of a several generation private estate – buyer pays 45.00 safe bubble shipping, Insurance and tracking in USA
"
Paul

Key2871

Very cool, and very very expensive. I've seen something close but not exactly like that, but was a few grand less in price.
KEN

LarryInMichigan

I would need a few hundred of those to hide all of my phones.  That would be WAY beyond my budget :).

Larry

tubaman

I've seen similar things in books, but didn't realise how expensive one would be.
Saying that, it didn't sell so perhaps it was priced rather optimistically!
:)

FABphones

I wouldn't want to hide my phone(s).
In the main a new fangled phone was a talking point, even a bit of a show piece - even for those that might say they thought they were 'vulgar'.  I'll bet not many sold.
Good idea if adapted back then as an early form of phone lock though!   ;)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Sargeguy

There was one of these at Lancaster last week.  I think the general opinion was that it was cool, but not practical for a phone collector because no one wants to hide their phones.  Except maybe from our spouses!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Quote from: tubaman on June 19, 2018, 06:27:51 AM
I've seen similar things in books, but didn't realise how expensive one would be.
Saying that, it didn't sell so perhaps it was priced rather optimistically!
:)
I would say, lookin up past the moon!

Key2871

I have been in old houses that had telephone nooks, most had a cathedral arch and could accommodate a candlestick, or 102, 202, then some started getting shorter for 302's and 500's.
But early on some would have doors or fancy cloth covering the phone.
Like in the 70's it was chest phone's, something that was disguised.
I once had many of these sets, including a roll top Western out in the 80's. Those I never saw many of.
KEN

LarryInMichigan

It is interesting that people wanted to hide their phones in the early days.  From what I have seen and heard, the opposite was the case for some other high tech home fixtures, like steam radiators.  There were intentionally made to be obvious so that the proud owners could show them off.  Phones were apparently a different story.

Larry

Key2871

This is true, perhaps in the old days people didn't really want others to see the phone. We call a candlestick an classic these days. But it may have been considered ugly back then.
I remember my grandfather didn't like the candlestick because it was ugly and needed both hands to use. Back in the old days things were to look nice, palace like.
Having a candlestick phone, didn't really fit in to the decor of most fancy homes. Then someone had the idea to make a hinged bronze or brass thing that one could hide this new but not fancy item.
I read some of this in books and heard about from watching history shows.
KEN

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 19, 2018, 11:45:07 AM
It is interesting that people wanted to hide their phones in the early days.  From what I have seen and heard, the opposite was the case for some other high tech home fixtures, like steam radiators.  There were intentionally made to be obvious so that the proud owners could show them off.  Phones were apparently a different story.

Larry
Larry....I agree....if I found one, I would sell it. They maybe cool, but not for a phone collector! IMHO....Doug
Kidphone