News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1982 Western Electric Encryption Phone

Started by ....., August 03, 2018, 09:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got this 1982 Western Electric encryption phone in a collection that I bought last month.
Cleaned it up and now have it in my display case.
Looking for information on it, there doesn't seem to be a lot out there.

RotarDad

That's very cool!  I wonder if that's a new item for Paul F's website catalog (Paul-f.com) of the 500 models?  Interesting that no feet were specified so it would mount on the auxiliary box.  Seems funny that a new "hi-tech" phone for the government would still be rotary in '83 (phone date code is 4th day of '83).  I know government specifications often change slowly, but TT had been around for nearly 20 years by that time....  Thanks for sharing that!
Paul

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on August 03, 2018, 10:42:00 PM
\  Seems funny that a new "hi-tech" phone for the government would still be rotary in '83 (phone date code is 4th day of '83). 
It is called tried and true. Old tech works. Does New tech?...

US Government  standards required "tried and true " technology. In   April 1983 Rotary had been a standard format thru out the government.

That is a very cool set.  It looks like a government contract set. You should be able to search by the SDSR number. I am assuming  the SDSR number is a government spec #
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: RotarDad on August 03, 2018, 10:42:00 PM
That's very cool!  I wonder if that's a new item for Paul F's website catalog (Paul-f.com) of the 500 models?  Interesting that no feet were specified so it would mount on the auxiliary box.  Seems funny that a new "hi-tech" phone for the government would still be rotary in '83 (phone date code is 4th day of '83).  I know government specifications often change slowly, but TT had been around for nearly 20 years by that time....  Thanks for sharing that!

The reason for 1982 date is that inside the phone it is dated 1982 the date manufactured by WE and you are correct as the phone would have been assembled in 1983 by (Teledyne) a third party. Possibly this company http://www.teledyne.com

I opened the auxiliary box and took some pictures of the circuit board inside.